DX11 FPS capped to 60 unless tabbed out of game window

Lindsae.3520

Same here, but worse. When the FPS goes under 60, it caps to 30.

Edit: saw this on other topic. Completely solved my problem. At least for now. I really got a massive boost on my FPS, now I can clearly see.

"In case anyone has problems with this, you can turn off V-sync in your GPU settings. For me it's in Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Scroll down, set Vertical Sync from "Use 3D Application settings" to "Off". Click Apply and restart the game client."

Edited by Degenerator.2137
Solution
  • Like 1

Dynamic VSync is a very poor choice. I had to force disable it through the NVIDIA Control Panel.

The game still only having 30 and 60fps cap options was always a very bad neglect seeing as 90+Hz monitors have been increasingly common since 2012. You never want to be using V-Sync if you can simply limit your framerate from going too high; even if you don't and you screen starts tearing I think it's still preferable of the atrocious input lag you get when you enable V-Sync. The problem I was having before fiddling in the control panel was that If the game can't handle a stable maximum FPS, Adaptive V-Sync will cut the framerate in half. I could be at 100-140 FPS,  which still feels smooth, and suddenly the game will decide to cuck me and hard throttle to 72 FPS. Every time it does this, frame time doubles from 8ms to 14ms and the game will stutter as V-Sync is toggled. This may happen almost every single second, leading to constant stuttering and input lag like molasses. Haven't had any performance or game-feel issues since I forced disabled it.

Yeet V-sync the kitten out of here. Please get simple framerate limits working ANet.

• Like 1

I have a somewhat of a unique issue. 

My 120Hz+ 10bit monitor using freesync and a RTX 2080s flickers when not using windowed fullscreen in some games, especially GW2. 

I have altered the range as well using CRU which fixed the issue. 

This fix worked great for months and still works in DX9 mode. 

I feel that the DX11 mode isn't truly using a fullscreen windowed mode as I am still getting flickering

I have tried everything I can think of so far but to no avail. It would seem unless Anet fixes this post beta I am doomed to DX9 mode since I can't handle the flickering.

It is very obvious and noticeable when changing between windowed and fullscreen windowed modes.  

Edited by Stormcrow.7513
120Hz@10bit, 165Hz@8bit

kitten, didn't see that in the patch notes. I lowered the refresh rate to 60Hz and it fixed the issue. 

5 hours ago, Lindsae.3520 said:

I use AMD and again, V-sync disabled in both game and the Radeon program. But I looked at the patch notes finally and it does say it doesn't support higher refresh rates. But I feel like 'unlimited' should ignore that.

On 9/22/2021 at 3:28 AM, Degenerator.2137 said:

Same here, but worse. When the FPS goes under 60, it caps to 30.

Edit: saw this on other topic. Completely solved my problem. At least for now. I really got a massive boost on my FPS, now I can clearly see.

"In case anyone has problems with this, you can turn off V-sync in your GPU settings. For me it's in Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Scroll down, set Vertical Sync from "Use 3D Application settings" to "Off". Click Apply and restart the game client."

Thank you for the info. It solved my issue too :)