Vega56 underperforming?

I just completed the support ticket process with no change and they told me to report here. :)

Anyone else out there using RX Vega cards? I could use some more data to see if there's a problem with these cards and GW2, or if it's just me.

On my old i5-2500k/GTX970 system my frames were consistently high and fluid, often running above 60 in the world on near max settings at 1440p/144hz. I was expecting my new AMD Ryzen 5 1600X/Vega56 system (both outperform my old hardware) to perform much better than it is, and it's performing strangely.

I'm hitting say 17-20 fps in Verdant Brink, and no matter what I do the frames don't really change. I can supersample, I can try to run the game at 4k, 1440p or 1080p but my frames remain the same. That doesn't seem right, yeah? Anyone experiencing anything similar? Silverwastes are also bad. Divinity's reach is maybe 20-30.

My R5 is OCed to 4.0ghz locked, and my Vega56 is also overclocked, though running at stock clocks made no difference. When I play GPU activity is at 99% according to Wattman, CPU is around 30-40% just looking out in the distance, no major player heavy event

I'm in a custom water loop, so all temps are good (CPU not over 70c, GPU not over 60c).

The card runs as expected in single player DX9 games, but GW2 just doesn't seem to be getting the performance I'd expect. And I'm speaking about just regular world traversal, not even big events with lots of people which will always drop frames.

Current in game settings have reflections off, shadows high, and player number/quality set to low.

Whether I plug in a 4k monitor or a 1080p one, there is no change to my frames. At best +/- 5 fps.

My RX 570 behaves as expected, doing excellently at 1080p, and struggling at 4k, while my Vega struggles regardless, no matter the changes I make.

My RX 570 should not beat my Vega 56 at 1080p.

Anyone experiencing something similar, or can try and compare? This just doesn't seem to be working right to me. My frames should change at least if I change resolution, right? I'm also hoping some devs see this and can do some internal tests with Vega to see if it's working correctly with GW2.

Note that I already went through all the usual troubleshooting stuff.

Any help is most appreciated. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, as with most things, the problem was my fault. The card was, in fact, in the wrong PCIE slot. It's a little concerning that GPU-Z didn't detect it as running at PCIE 2.0x4, but that is what it was running at. Here's how I found out.

In Radeon settings I noticed in the System > Hardware tab that the Current Bus Settings was at PCIE 2.0x16. That was odd, disagreed with GPU-Z, but was in line with some of the suggestions from other users below that my card was may be running at lower PCIE speeds.

I triple checked my ASRock AB350M Pro4 mobo map and saw where I got confused.

It lists the PCIE slots as PCIE1, PCIE2, PCIE3, not according to actual speed, but in order of top to bottom from the CPU. The speeds are actually PCIE 1.0, PCIE 3.0x16, PCIE 2.0x4. So the slot labeled PCIE2 is the PCIE 3.0 slot, and the slot labeled PCIE3 is the PCIE 2.0 slot. Awesome.

Well, I feel stupid, but at least it's fixed now. I post this for anyone else who may be experiencing something similar, or may be also confused by this mobo labeling.

Archived