Launcher Glitch

Hey, so I've got a weird situation right now that I have no idea how to fix.

The issue:

Launcher opens as normal, then suddenly flickers and displays a 'ghost' launcher to the far left, but is not clickable. You can hover over the "initializing" window and a few things are clickable via this active space but it's only the checkboxes, the very end of the text fields, and a few links up top. It doesn't show up in screenshots and this is the only program on my pc to do this.

What I've tried:
- Updating my GPU drivers
- Making sure any overlays are uninstalled just in case that was causing an issue. (WARP and Taco, namely)

- Repairing

- uninstalling/reinstalling

- restarting my computer

- running as admin

Nothing seems to resolve it and I haven't played in about a month or two so I'm not sure where exactly in the patch/update timeline this would have started.

System Specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having this issue currently myself. It does the same thing and even shows flickering icons from the desktop behind it if I mouse over where it is. Can't click on anything and the client itself is only halfway visible like yours. Nice desktop background btw! 🙂 Have followed the same things you have, no overlays.

I actually have an AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The drivers are updated, as well.

1 hour ago, Entropy.9403 said:

I'm having this issue currently myself. It does the same thing and even shows flickering icons from the desktop behind it if I mouse over where it is. Can't click on anything and the client itself is only halfway visible like yours. Nice desktop background btw! 🙂 Have followed the same things you have, no overlays.

I actually have an AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The drivers are updated, as well.

UPDATE: I was able to get in the game via pressing enter to get through the login and start buttons, and the TP/Gem store is having this same issue where the UI elements show up in the top left corner of the screen, but even weirder it only shows up in windowed mode, or if the taskbar is up. I hope this gets fixed soon, I want that plush cuckoo!

• 1 month later...

Alright, I intended to reply to this post way earlier, since I thought I knew the cause, but I did even more digging and so... I present to you at least some sort of a solution...

First, the issue:
The issue is with DirectX9, or at least, that's the biggest suspect from what I've found. I tested four old games (Guild wars, Kao the kangaroo, Payday2 and Metin2) with a laptop that runs Ubuntu 20.04 with NVIDIA 3050 and AMD 5600H and launched all of the games with Proton 7.0. Only Metin 2 didn't work, but I think that's because it's a private server and launcher so... that may be its own can of worms. Other than that, no flickering with Guild Wars 2, no crashes, no issues whatsoever. All of the games mentioned above immediately crash on Windows 10 Desktop with Radeon 6800XT and AMD 3800X (except Guild Wars 2, I get the flickering too).

Now, why does it have to be DirectX9?
This is the best part. First of all, all the games I've mentioned run on DX9, so that's first thing I noticed (old games). But, at the beginning, I thought that something might've happened with the 6800XT and since I still have my old NVIDIA 1070 that I used before upgrading to 6800XT, I switched them and tried running the games on it and as you can guess, all  of the games worked without issues, even without NVIDIA drivers...
So, I started digging a bit deeper and found posts like these:

The actual "solution":
You can read through the posts, maybe find some actual and better solution, but to sum it up, the drivers seem to be screwed up for who knows how long and I still wasn't able to fix it for myself, but maybe if you try using the Vulkan API it may fix it for you.

Hope someone at least finds this useful or picks up on this, since I doubt I will bother with this anymore. The only other solution I can think of is installing Ubuntu and use Proton as a fix (add a non steam game and force proton compatibility). However, I didn't test Ubuntu with an AMD GPU so, I don't know the results, I read that people tried it and said it worked for them, so... try your luck I guess.

Edited by Xenon.9063
spelling mistakes

Oh great, well, now you don't have to worry, since they are migrating to DX11

As many of you know, we have been working on implementing and improving support for DirectX 11 in 

Guild Wars 2

. Completing this upgrade will allow us to utilize more modern rendering features, improving both the graphical fidelity and performance of 

Guild Wars 2

. We're happy to announce that we are now ready to remove the DirectX 9 renderer for 

Guild Wars 2

and migrate all players to the DirectX 11 renderer.

With this upgrade, we'll begin adjusting our minimum system requirements to include a DirectX 11-compatible GPU on February 6. This upgrade will roll out to all players over an eight-week period. We expect the process to be completed and all players to be migrated to the DirectX 11 client by April 18.

(read from steam updates page, released 5.1.)

• Haha 1