Returning player wondering about the state of RP!

Mr Numbers.2179

Hi!
I'm an old player that's seeking to get back into GW2 after being away from the game for about seven years. Back then, I remember just being in and around the capital city was enough to find RP but how are things now? To avoid going about it wrong and ending up disappointed (happened to me in WoW where Horde RP was completely dead but Alliance was flourishing), is there some external forum or site for finding RP guilds, events, and so forth? Also, is Piken Square on EU as active as its North American counterpart? 
Any insights are most welcome and thank you very much in advance!

Hey there!

As far as external resources are concerned, you should check out Gw2 RP. That's basically where people gather! While it's become somewhat NA-centric with most of EU having moved to Discord server(s), that shouldn't be taken as indicative of how active the EU scene is. With a number of weekly public events, there's certainly RP going on! There's also WARP. I've never used it myself, so that's all I know. Unfortunately, the site is gone now, so editing this response in accordance with that.

Whether you should go for NA or EU mostly depends on your timezone, I would say. Most NA RP starts picking up at 3:30am-5:00am in Central European Time, going on 'til the wee hours of the morning, which is obviously a problem if you have to get up at 7am to get ready for your job. In my anecdotal experience, however, your best bet for a steady stream of RP would be joining a guild regardless of which region you end up going for.

Furthermore, due to the change to Megaservers between the game's launch and now (great for the game, less great for finding RP) Both NA and EU have general 'Hey, I'm a RPer!' guilds that are supposed to help with finding other people regardless of shards. If you don't intend to join a guild with a specific identity or calling and are looking more for walk up RP, those are your definitely your best bet!

Hope that helps!

Edited by Shadeste.4935
  • Thanks 2

On 10/30/2022 at 7:10 PM, Shadeste.4935 said:

Hey there!

As far as external resources are concerned, you should check out Gw2 RP. That's basically where people gather! While it's become somewhat NA-centric with most of EU having moved to Discord server(s), that shouldn't be taken as indicative of how active the EU scene is. With a number of weekly public events, there's certainly RP going on! There's also WARP. I've never used it myself, so that's all I know.

Whether you should go for NA or EU mostly depends on your timezone, I would say. Most NA RP starts picking up at 3:30am-5:00am in Central European Time, going on 'til the wee hours of the morning, which is obviously a problem if you have to get up at 7am to get ready for your job. In my anecdotal experience, however, your best bet for a steady stream of RP would be joining a guild regardless of which region you end up going for.

Furthermore, due to the change to Megaservers between the game's launch and now (great for the game, less great for finding RP) Both NA and EU have general 'Hey, I'm a RPer!' guilds that are supposed to help with finding other people regardless of shards. If you don't intend to join a guild with a specific identity or calling and are looking more for walk up RP, those are your definitely your best bet!

Hope that helps!

Aah, thank you so much for the reply! I'll see what I can find on the GW2 RP site and the part about megaservers being introduced was important news to me. I believe I'll try and see if there's some EU guild around that strikes my interest and are recruiting as my first plan.

Stay awesome!

• Like 1