Mesmer (Mirage) - class breaking bug with Mirage Cloak ability

Sometimes after using "Phase Retreat" (2nd staff skill) completely loses possibility to use "Mirage Cloak". The ability is restored only after mounting/dismounting. So, this bug is not just small inconvenience, but makes entire class literally unplayable by breaking its core mechanic.

Video of the bug:

Spoiler

update (related post) :
Late observations shown that the bug triggers not by using "Phase Retreat" skill, but when stepping on the specific place itself, probably also given the direction in which the player stepped in such place. However, "Phase Retreat" still can help to trigger the bug if it won't triggers just by stepping on that places.

Edited by Kyubey.6349
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I tried to reproduce the bug in various ways. And according to my observations, this bug is somehow tied to certain areas or types of terrain. For those who will also try to reproduce the bug, first try to do it in the same place where it happens on the video, it always works there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I can put in more information that I have tested:I only had the problem in the Gandarran fields, the only way to get rid of the bug is to change out of mirage and then back (to use a mount doesn't fix the issue, to change map doesn't fix the issue). I was able to do a farm train on other maps without any buggs but after going back to Gandarran fields it did break again.

This was 2 days ago. Today I logged in and had the bug instantly (on the Gandarran fields at the airship (the airship pass)). I changed map to Snowden Rifts and was just starting to complete the map and it started again. It isn't reproducable at will but it happens either instantly at log in or randomly after changing trait, instantly or after just after a few dodges to fighting 10+ enemies.
The terrain have no effect on this for what I can tell. Flat surface, slopes and even under water - it happens everywhere.

1 hour ago, Saga.4102 said:

I can put in more information that I have tested:I only had the problem in the Gandarran fields, the only way to get rid of the bug is to change out of mirage and then back (to use a mount doesn't fix the issue, to change map doesn't fix the issue). I was able to do a farm train on other maps without any buggs but after going back to Gandarran fields it did break again.

This was 2 days ago. Today I logged in and had the bug instantly (on the Gandarran fields at the airship (the airship pass)). I changed map to Snowden Rifts and was just starting to complete the map and it started again. It isn't reproducable at will but it happens either instantly at log in or randomly after changing trait, instantly or after just after a few dodges to fighting 10+ enemies.
The terrain have no effect on this for what I can tell. Flat surface, slopes and even under water - it happens everywhere.

I definitely agree. I tested it in Queensdale, Gendarran Fields, and Kessex Hills. It seems like it does happen randomly as I've also tried various ways to reproduce the bug. I went underwater and coming to land, it broke. Changing the traitline and swapping back to Mirage fixed it then after a couple dodges, it broke. I changed maps to Queensdale to Gendarran Fields and immediately it didn't work. No specific skill sequence appeared to break it as it seemed to randomly break. I noticed this bug started around 2 days ago as well. I've sent 2 bug reports so far going more into detail about it.

Edited by Orimetzso.2580

7 hours ago, Saga.4102 said:

6 hours ago, Orimetzso.2580 said:

I definitely agree. I tested it in Queensdale, Gendarran Fields, and Kessex Hills. It seems like it does happen randomly as I've also tried various ways to reproduce the bug. I went underwater and coming to land, it broke. Changing the traitline and swapping back to Mirage fixed it then after a couple dodges, it broke. I changed maps to Queensdale to Gendarran Fields and immediately it didn't work. No specific skill sequence appeared to break it as it seemed to randomly break. I noticed this bug started around 2 days ago as well. I've sent 2 bug reports so far going more into detail about it.

No, it's definitely NOT random and CAN be reproduced manually. Did you even watch the videos? I reproduced it multiple times.

Also found at least one such place in Gendarran Field. According to my recent observations the bug triggers not by using "Phase Retreat" skill (at least not always it's the trigger), but when stepping on place itself. And not only the place matters, but also the direction from where the player stepped in, which visually demonstrated on this video:

Spoiler

Also attaching screenshots of locations if someone can't guess the location only by related videos. Arrows means the direction that I used when the bug was triggered.

Sparkfly Fen:

Spoiler

Gendarran Fields:

Spoiler

Edited by Kyubey.6349
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Kyubey.6349 said:

No, it's definitely NOT random and CAN be reproduced manually. Did you even watch the videos? I reproduced it multiple times.

Also found at least one such place in Gendarran Field. According to my recent observations the bug triggers not by using "Phase Retreat" skill (at least not always it's the trigger), but when stepping on place itself. And not only the place matters, but also the direction from where the player stepped in, which visually demonstrated on this video:

Reveal hidden contents

Also attaching screenshots of locations if someone can't guess the location only by related videos. Arrows means the direction that I used when the bug was triggered.

Sparkfly Fen:

Reveal hidden contents

Gendarran Fields:

Reveal hidden contents

On 7/1/2023 at 8:41 AM, Kyubey.6349 said:

Sometimes after using "Phase Retreat" (2nd staff skill) completely loses possibility to use "Mirage Cloak". The ability is restored only after mounting/dismounting. So, this bug is not just small inconvenience, but makes entire class literally unplayable by breaking its core mechanic.

Video of the bug:

Reveal hidden contents

update (related post) :
Late observations shown that the bug triggers not by using "Phase Retreat" skill, but when stepping on the specific place itself, probably also given the direction in which the player stepped in such place. However, "Phase Retreat" still can help to trigger the bug if it won't triggers just by stepping on that places.

Yes. I watched the videos you posted. This is exactly why I stated that it "seemed to randomly break." Every player may not have the same result in reproducing this bug as you and according to what has been said thus far, every situation attempted has yielded different methods of breaking it. My test with it broke it in various ways which is why I said it "seemed random." I want to make it clear that I'm not saying you are wrong on this but not everyone will have it break upon using Phase Retreat in a specific way or moving towards a certain area of the map. For example, I went to Harathi Hinterlands near the Wildspine Hills and moved towards the Craig Sensay Hero Point to fight his ballista. I noticed that facing towards the lake broke my dodge and then when I reset it, it broke again facing the opposite direction of the lake. Even when I tried to re-mount, sometimes that didn't fix it.

Edited by Orimetzso.2580

1 hour ago, Orimetzso.2580 said:

Yes. I watched the videos you posted. This is exactly why I stated that it "seemed to randomly break." Every player may not have the same result in reproducing this bug as you and according to what has been said thus far, every situation attempted has yielded different methods of breaking it. My test with it broke it in various ways which is why I said it "seemed random." I want to make it clear that I'm not saying you are wrong on this but not everyone will have it break upon using Phase Retreat in a specific way.

How players can not have the same result if we all have the same game and the same version of it? It's bug in the in-game mechanics, so, it can't depend on different hardware, it's drivers, or third party software.

Technology is a complex thing. It's changing all the time and not everything will be the same for every person. That's all I'm saying. It's not something to dismiss or look away from. Again, I never said I disagreed with you cause it seems to me like you're trying to say that I am. In my experience, tackling an issue such as this requires different ways of looking at it. It's better to look at it from ALL angles rather than simply looking at it from one way.

This is only happening to me in Core Tyria, if that helps. I can't speak for other expansions as I haven't got there yet, but I didn't have the problem once in the Heart of Thorns maps. As soon as I came back to core maps, it broke again. Not really sure what triggers it as it seems different every time

• Like 1

I am having the same issue on all kinds of maps. My mirage cloak dodge will randomly stop working and it is frustrating as it is a core ability to the entire specialization. Sometimes mounting and dismounting helps and other times I have to log in and back out 😕 

• Like 1

I started a new character 😞 So disappointing that they would not only leave such a major class-breaking bug in the game, but that they wouldn't even address or acknowledge its presence. Not a great start to the game for me but I guess it is what it is. 

This happens to me EVERY time I use a core-Tyria waypoint. The only two fixes I have found are 1. changing out of Mirage and back into Mirage, or 2: Mounting then immediately using the same waypoint that caused the problem again. Both of these are completely temporary and usually only last until I get into a major fight and end up dead because none of my skills will function correctly.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lollipopsaurus.6021 said:

Is it only core maps where this happens? I only notice when doing core open world content.

I've only ever had it happen in core maps. Thought it was fixed and got so happy but turns out it was just because I made it to HoT 😂

Just came upon this post and tried cloaking on/near the spots Kyubey mentioned. Happend to me as well. The Sparkfly ones were quite easy to find due to the shadows.

There may be one in Timberline north of Concordia near Valance Tutory Waypoint (where my char stands).

The WP one happend to me too (in Sparkfly) but I am not entirely sure if distance plays a role. Most often when 7300 units or more away from the (same) WP, as far as I have tested always when using different WPs. But it will need some further tests

6 hours ago, Sheepsherrip.1428 said:

Just came upon this post and tried cloaking on/near the spots Kyubey mentioned. Happend to me as well. The Sparkfly ones were quite easy to find due to the shadows.

There may be one in Timberline north of Concordia near Valance Tutory Waypoint (where my char stands).

The WP one happend to me too (in Sparkfly) but I am not entirely sure if distance plays a role. Most often when 7300 units or more away from the (same) WP, as far as I have tested always when using different WPs. But it will need some further tests

Location has nothing to do with it - nor has the surface. It happens at any time. You can log in and have the bug, you can play for hours without it, it can come now and then or all the time.

7 hours ago, Saga.4102 said:

Because it DOES happen at any location, just as other have stated - it's a fact.

If there are specific spots that are guaranteed triggers the bug for at least someone, so, such locations or something that exists in it is definitely somehow related to the bug. And such spots really exist, which is demonstrated by me and reproduced by another player, so, it's can be considered as a fact, until it's refuted with the proofs. When your words have NO actual proof. Furthermore, there were several confirmations that the bug only occurs on the core Tyria maps, which already refutes your words that "location has nothing to do with it".

• Sad 1