Secrets of the Obscure Softlock - Commander without a Cause

During "Commander without a Cause", after filling out the "Investigate the camp for information" objective, the quest softlocks. Arina comes up to the horn and is supposed to sound it, but nothing happens instead and she just stands there. The same happens if the timer runs out before all the information is investigated. Me and my friends tried to do the quest multiple times and it always ends in a softlock.

Edit: I found a temporary workaround.

If you're facing this issue, here's what you need to do to push the quest forward.

1. Enter the instance
  2. Proceed through the quest until you have approached the camp and eavesdropped the conversation
  3. Wait 7 minutes for the hunting party to leave (the timer gets visible only when 2 minutes are left)
  4. (Important) Do not pick up the disguise at any point
  5. Wait for Arina to come close to the horn and make sure she stands still
  6. Walk into her detection cone. She will draw her weapon at you, making her reset her script
  7. After you're booted out of the camp, the quest will progress
Edited by MrLores.2961
Found a temporary workaround for the issue
  • Thanks 31

6 minutes ago, XxEmergexX.7304 said:

I tried closing the game completely and retrying but nothing has changed, third time through. Although I've noticed the timer has now disappeared on subsequent tries. 

I can second this, I have tried this on 3 different characters to see if it was only a character specific issue, however, it seems to not progress beyond that point on all of them and the timer no longer shows up. Another point to add is that the magnifying glass icon to indicate points of interest for the quest do not appear on the mini map or the big map. 

Yap... tried it on NA aswell as EU accs and it was the same problem ... tried each acc several times with several routes of filling the progress bar and getting thrown out...

but it always stays blocked when Arina is supposed to blow the horn

I have the same issue. I tried to switch to another story and switched back to "Commander without a Cause" without success.  

Edit: Workaround worked!

13 hours ago, MrLores.2961 said:

During "Commander without a Cause", after filling out the "Investigate the camp for information" objective, the quest softlocks. Arina comes up to the horn and is supposed to sound it, but nothing happens instead and she just stands there. The same happens if the timer runs out before all the information is investigated. Me and my friends tried to do the quest multiple times and it always ends in a softlock.

Edit: I found a temporary workaround.

If you're facing this issue, here's what you need to do to push the quest forward.

1. Enter the instance
  2. Proceed through the quest until you have approached the camp and eavesdropped the conversation
  3. Wait 7 minutes for the hunting party to leave (the timer gets visible only when 2 minutes are left)
  4. (Important) Do not pick up the disguise at any point
  5. Wait for Arina to come close to the horn and make sure she stands still
  6. Walk into her detection cone. She will draw her weapon at you, making her reset her script
  7. After you're booted out of the camp, the quest will progress

Edited by Varock.9705

i was having issues with the rift thing in janthir wilds so i went to try out secrets of obscure and then i ran into this issue i cant have crap unlucky 😭

i hope this is fixed soon kind of annoying at least im glad im not alone in this

Edited by sashiezzz.6923

Same issue here. Finally had an entire free night to myself to get lost in a game - figured I'd buy SoO and start there and lead into Janthir then this happens on the first quest line...

Hate to be this harsh to ArenaNet but to get SO stuck in an instance that I'm forced to reboot, and to have it happen just 10 minutes into a story, is just disappointing.  It's a huge buzz kill, already having wasted a good amount of my time tonight, and overall has done some damage to what I hoped would be a great start to some new stories.

Edited by Tallfux.7246
  • Sad 2