Engi spear 2 still misses a lot. Beta bugs are not addressed

Angelissa.8409

It has been extensively reported that Engi spear 2 (the charge, which puts focus) is unreliable at best.

My entire feedback from June 28 is still valid:

I did some extended testing on Conduit Surge (spear 2).

• Tooltip range is 700.
  • If no target is selected, it will only charge 450 range. This is most likely a bug.
  • If a target is selected, but the target is more than 700 range away, it will only charge 450. This is most likely a bug as well.
  • If a target is selected, and the target is at 700 range, it will charge 700 but
  • If a target is between 450 and 700 range, the ability will NOT hit. (Overshoot) This means no damage, no focused debuff. This is a bug.
  • Targets that are on a slightly different elevation but have a direct path to them (think of small slopes such as a hillside, or standing on a small object) will usually bug, resulting in you jumping in the air or overshooting them, regardless of the distance.
  • If a target is between 0-450 range, it will charge and hit, applying the focused debuff.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you guys got the code copied from GS 3 on rev. It’s been bugged like that since EoD launch. Been brought up several times, to the point where we just accept that the skill is only 450u due to being ignored. Hopefully your fight to get it fixed goes better than ours did. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Yep, the after cast of the leap makes you stop in place allowing moving targets to step right outside the range with ease. Also the fact that this is a leap that tracks the ground rather than launches you into the air - like guardian greatsword 3 (which seemingly doesnt have any aftercast at all btw) - feels kinda kitten for such a short range ngl

It seems like the skill leaps 500 range rather than the 700 that the tooltip states. Atleast when compared to the distance of other skill such as devastator or function gyro which both have 600 range

Edited by Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

On 8/21/2024 at 12:52 PM, UncreativeGreen.2019 said:

Looks like you guys got the code copied from GS 3 on rev. It’s been bugged like that since EoD launch. Been brought up several times, to the point where we just accept that the skill is only 450u due to being ignored. Hopefully your fight to get it fixed goes better than ours did. 

What's worse is that when our spear 2 misses, we fail to put Focused effect on the target, effectively halfing our damage done.

I know profession forums on ANY profession is dooming since GW2's existence, but given the lack of support Engineer has received throughout the recent years, and the disastrous shortbow, the buggy spear is just the final nail on the coffin.

I'm just considering stopping playing GW2 all together because Engi is the only profession I like, so to me it feels pointless to keep on playing when obvious bugs go unaddressed.

• Like 6

On 8/24/2024 at 11:48 PM, Angelissa.8409 said:

What's worse is that when our spear 2 misses, we fail to put Focused effect on the target, effectively halfing our damage done.

I know profession forums on ANY profession is dooming since GW2's existence, but given the lack of support Engineer has received throughout the recent years, and the disastrous shortbow, the buggy spear is just the final nail on the coffin.

I'm just considering stopping playing GW2 all together because Engi is the only profession I like, so to me it feels pointless to keep on playing when obvious bugs go unaddressed.

Wanted to say something myself as well but you covered all I wanted to say :classic_biggrin:

It seems spear 2 has two parts to it, first is a 450 range mobility skill and the second part is a 250 range mobility skill with a leap finisher.

The second part of the attack will not trigger unless there is a target. And will not trigger unless the total distance from enemy is less than 700.

If you start your attack without a target and immediately choose a target mid animation, the leap combo part of the attack will actually trigger.

Edited by Langeball.9351
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Langeball.9351 said:

It seems spear 2 has two parts to it, first is a 450 range mobility skill and the second part is a 250 range mobility skill with a leap finisher.

The second part of the attack will not trigger unless there is a target. And will not trigger unless the total distance from enemy is less than 700.

If you start your attack without a target and immediately choose a target mid animation, the leap combo part of the attack will actually trigger.

inb4 next patch Bugfix: Clarified tooltip of spear 2 to specify that its actually intentionally garbage and not by mistake

On 8/21/2024 at 11:27 AM, Angelissa.8409 said:

On 8/21/2024 at 11:27 AM, Angelissa.8409 said:

If a target is between 0-450 range, it will charge and hit, applying the focused debuff.

Ah btw, even if you cast it 0-450 range it won't still hit some times, also found out that in certain Fractal bosses Spear 2 won't hit at all regardless of the range or angle.

Spear 2 is not connecting half the time for me... also when using skills 2 and 5 as movement skills to kite in WvW, if i cast 5 first, and follow up with 2 (Devastator into Conduit Surge), the 2 skill will move me in a random direction, forwards, sideways, backwards. If i don't have a target I should travel forwards. Using 2 first then 5 the issue doesn't happen. Not sure if it's the same for anyone else. 

I'm having this issue aswell and have done since the beta.

Been trying to play condi quick scrapper and due to the 2 not working, quickness isn't applied.

The build and weapon itself solely relies on that skill hitting (causing the focus effect) for the leap finisher to trigger to give quickness, if that skill for some reason doesnt hit, the quickness isnt applied, and there isnt enough finishers to pad it while waiting for it to magically work again. 

Also the spear has no field.. so condi quick scrapper is again struggling more out of the fact I need to manage to place fields before using it to. 

It is very apparently that it is this skill causing this as ArcDPS tracks conduit surge as being cancelled up to 30 times in the rotation. Because it just simply decides not to do the "leap" even though im standing directly behind the training golem in melee range. 

Hoping to see this skill somehow fixed to work as intended, or just simply changed. Would really love for the "leap" to be on skill press rather than it landing a hit to, so quick scrapper atleast can apply the boon :v 

I get that designing a game is hard and some bugs are harder to fix. But at the same time I bought a product and it’s not functioning properly (I don’t play any other classes).

We don’t know when (or worse IF) a fix is coming and i dont like stressing over a game so gonna take a break. Poe league is fun anyway. Shame because JW was great in other ways. Peace 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 9:49 PM, LilBiM.3581 said:

They could just make it a blink like Guardian Sword 2 and save themselves the hard work.

I find it funny that such a simple solution would make spear better than its current iteration. The devs really need to understand that less is more as simple skills that actually work is preferable over unnecessarily complicated skills that bug/break half the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, miles.5961 said:

I find it funny that such a simple solution would make spear better than its current iteration. The devs really need to understand that less is more as simple skills that actually work is preferable over unnecessarily complicated skills that bug/break half the time.

They don't want to give Engi a port. That would be tew much.

3 hours ago, LilBiM.3581 said:

They don't want to give Engi a port. That would be tew much.

I remeber the Eod espec reveal stream where they showcased the untamed teleport skill and why they gave more classes teleports, and CMC , i believe, said "because why not". This really seems like the level of thought that goes into design choices lately

7 hours ago, Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365 said:

I remeber the Eod espec reveal stream where they showcased the untamed teleport skill and why they gave more classes teleports, and CMC , i believe, said "because why not". This really seems like the level of thought that goes into design choices lately

As long as that's the justification then why not. Go for it. Give it teleport and 160 radius. That way it lands unless you're definitely out of range.