Question about the "Collection Boxes" in Homesteads (mild spoilers)

So I just got the 4th tier mastery and went up to a collection box to do the mass gathering. The manage glyph selection came up and it looks like it wants me SPEND a glyph of volatility on the box rather than using the glyph I have equipped. So I will essentially have to have 1 set of glyphs for my homestead and another set for my main's gathering tools...and I can't pop the homestead's glyph out of the box? I'm being asked to invest 2200g on glyphs I already own? Why can't I just use the glyphs I have on my tools, and have the box see those glyphs?

• Confused 2

You can definitely remove the glyph from the box. I'm waiting for reset to test if the box will use my existing gathering glyph if I don't have a glyph in the box. but I suspect it won't.

• Like 1

Yeah I've learned in the last day that the boxes don't eat the glyphs, and also if you have the deluxe edition gathering tools of JW, you can exchange them for tools with a free glyph each. so technically you don't need to buy new glyphs, but like that only if you could afford the better edition of the xpac, or yeah you buy infinite tools for 2700 gems or buy 3 VM glyphs for 2200g.  It feels more like an "NCSoft design choice" than an "ANet design choice"

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, HeroineDark.6287 said:

Yeah I've learned in the last day that the boxes don't eat the glyphs, and also if you have the deluxe edition gathering tools of JW, you can exchange them for tools with a free glyph each. so technically you don't need to buy new glyphs, but like that only if you could afford the better edition of the xpac, or yeah you buy infinite tools for 2700 gems or buy 3 VM glyphs for 2200g.  It feels more like an "NCSoft design choice" than an "ANet design choice"

I can confirm that a glyph needs to be in the box to get the bonus. However, the work around is to just use 1 glyph of Volatility for all of your boxes. It's only a few extra clicks for each box to move the glyph around.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HeroineDark.6287 said:

you only need 1 of each glyph:
have a glyph in your inventory (either pop it out of your tool or have a spare), go up to your box, select Manage glyphs, select the glyph your want to use.
open the the box again, and select Harvest, once harvested, select Remove glyph (it will add it back to your inventory) and go to the next box. repeat.

• Like 1

Notice also that this causes the Glyph of Reaping to become entirely useless except in a few potato or strawberry farms in the open world.  I spent 300 gold back in the day to get three of these glyphs to allow fast gathering of my home instance, and now I can do it with one button and without this glyph.  So what is the point of the Glyph of Reaping?  Money wasted.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Semi- Related: do gathering boosts work with the collection boxes? Eg: guild hall boost, item boosters, guild banners. (I know boosters affect the nodes differently in the home instance as it is.)

Edited by Melecha.4576
added more info