New 80

Gator.8791

I highly recommend not accepting the level 80 boost on your first character. Take your time and enjoy the game, enjoy leveling up and experimenting with weapons and skills, enjoy exploring the low level zones.

This is not a game where you need to constantly be chasing after the next best weapon, once you're 80, everyone is more or less the same. The biggest difference is experience. Especially in PvP where equipment is completely equalized.

@Gator.8791 said:I am completely lost, I just used the boost after giving it a trial run. I am overwhelmed. Any ideas/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Depend what do you have in mind, PVE (Raids, World Bosses, Fractals, Dungeons) or World vs World (PVP 1 vs 1 or 1 vs many or you and your group vs 1 or vs many on battleground maps).But like @Fluffball.8307 said, first you should play some PVE content, to learn your skills, to getting used with weapons etc, and only after you are enough confident on you, you can go and play competitive things, other way you will still feel overwhelmed ...Regarding of what do you intend to do, we can tell you some builds.

@Gator.8791 said:Thanks I have played several mmos and I actually had the toon up to the mid 50s before I boosted. I love longbow and pet so something in that vein is really what I want to play.

Gator, you have to decide what do you want to play: PVE or PVP. The builds are totally different.You said you like LB (me too) but you must decide for second weapons set too ... and again the second weapons set is based on what do you want to do : PVE or PVP.Because you love LB, means you will go with a Power Build, and for this, the second weapons set will be Greatsword, Sword+Warhorn, Sword+Axe, Sword+Dagger , Axe+Axe , etc ...

@Gator.8791 said:I am completely lost, I just used the boost after giving it a trial run. I am overwhelmed. Any ideas/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, regarding your build - choose whatever you feel comfortable with. You enjoy LB and pet? Great! Focus on collecting items containing power (and vitality for tankiness or precision and ferocity for more damage). As for a standard PvE (open world) build without an elite specialization I'd recommend something like Beast Mastery (2, 2, 2) Marksmanship (2, 2, 1 or 3) and Nature Magic (1, 1, 2) to start off with, but I strongly encourage you to experiment on your own and find a build suiting your playstyle. As for weapon setup, like Dragonzhunter said above, I recommend running with a melee weapon to compensate for your longbow - either a Greatsword or a Sword with a Warhorn, Axe or Dagger. Whichever suits your playstyle!

Now, with a basic build sorted out - next step is what to do: I'd recommend starting to explore the PoF content and start the story line to earn your first mount (the raptor). After that there are loads of stuff to try out (however I strongly recommend exploring the open world while figuring out your profession and playstyle):

• PvP (either through the PvP lobby or WvW)
  • Dungeons (either traditional dungeons in Story / Explorer Mode or Fractals)
  • Personal Story, Heart of Thorns Story or Path of Fire Story.
  • Exploring! Find jumping puzzles, new pets, world bosses, events and other enjoyable surprises throughout the entire game while earning rewards like currencies or equipment that you can use in the future!

Hope you'll enjoy your stay :D

Archived