1440 144 hz monitor question

Does anyone have experience with a 27 inch 1440, 144 hz Gsync monitor and Nvidea 1070 in GW2?Does it work?

To be honest, just reading about monitor choices has nearly fried my last brain cell, then I saw some threads about higher end combos not being able to adjust to low frame rate situations common in GW2 and my confusion had peaked.

I have an alienware computer and thinking about adding 27 inch Acer predator monitor.Right now I have an hdmi to an 1080 p television, which works fine if you don't mind the low resolution.

Thanks in advance.

I'm entertained by the idea of people calling 1920x1080 (1080p) "low resolution".

I remember a time when, on a PC, you had to choose between "high resolution" (640x200 on a 14 inch 4:3 CRT monitor, but only two colours) or "colour" graphics (320x200 on the same monitor, but wow, 4 colours). (Somewhat later, around 1995, I unpacked a 21 inch 4:3 CRT monitor, following the special instructions and with a colleague's help because the thing weighed about 70 pounds.)

Now get off my lawn!

Caveat lector: I play on a 4K ("2160p") 28" monitor.

@"Ayodhya.6051" said:Does anyone have experience with a 27 inch 1440, 144 hz Gsync monitor and Nvidea 1070 in GW2?

Almost. I don't have GSync, and I have a 1080Ti, but the rest is similar.

Does it work?

Other than GSync, which should assuming you meet the requirements, whatever they are, yes.

Honesty compels me to say "yes, but..." though: because GW2 bottlenecks on single core CPU performance if you have a fast enough video card -- and at native sampling 1440p a 1070 should be fast enough with everything in max graphics -- you won't always get 144FPS. OTOH, the lowest I get is 30FPS when I'm in the middle of 150 players all beating up Teq in about three square inches of space, so it is hardly unplayable.

To be honest, just reading about monitor choices has nearly fried my last brain cell, then I saw some threads about higher end combos not being able to adjust to low frame rate situations common in GW2 and my confusion had peaked.

Even if GSync doesn't come down low enough, and you should be able to find the "minimum" frame rate spec somewhere, it should be fine anyway. At least some sources say that below 30FPS you just get "normal" VSync, so still no tearing, just not the shiny (and probably tiny) GSync improvement.

@Ayodhya.6051 said:Thanks for the answers. Very helpful!Steve... it sounds like you are almost as old as I am..... and you are right. :)

I'm 52. I happened, in the earliest part of the 1980s, to live in not an IBM town, but the IBM town, Endicott NY(1), and actual factual real IBM PCs were kinda everywhere.

(1) It was amusing to go around the centre of town, where there were still large IBM manufacturing plants, and see about every fourth house had been pulled down to make room for a place for IBM employees to park. And also the time when there was a short dead-end street between two IBM parking lots, and IBM bought the street so they could make one big lot instead of two smaller ones.

Archived