Should the amount and duration of Condis/Boons per class be normalized?

Hey there!I was thinking more and more about the amount of effects we have in game and it's huge. Now don't get me wrong, I love that we have many to choose from. For me, the problem lies in the amount of conditions and boons each class has access too. This leads to some serious issues and very flat gameplay mechanics.Let's take for example "Shake it off!" (<-Warrior's Shout) and "Soothing Stone" (<- Revenant's Jalis' Heal)[i WILL SKIP SOME CHANGES FOR THE SAKE OF BREVITY]

CONDITIONS

Now, I'll provide some examples of adding conditions to class (or its weapons) in order to make it functional. It's because other classes already had so many conditions (or condi cleanse) that some other felt underwhelming because of it. So, let's add some condis, shall we?

Temporal Rift (Revenant Axe 5 Skill):

• 2015 - Inflicts 3 stacks of Torment
  • 2017 - (add.) Inflicts 3 stacks of Confusion
  • Further changes on Confusion inflicted by this skill

Signet of Shadows (Thief's Utility Skill):

• 2012 - On use inflicts 5s of Blindness to nearby enemies
  • 2017 - (add.) Inflicts Weakness and 10 stacks of Vulnerability

Ghastly Breach (Scourge's Skill):

• (Under specific circumstanecs) Inflicts: Torment, Cripple, Burning, Slow and Might

Voice of Truth (Firebrand's Skill):

• Inflicts Vulnerability, Immobilize, Weakness and Blindness

Echo of Truth (Firebrand's Skill):

• Inflicts Cripple, Weakness and Blindness

Let's take for example "Shake it off!" (<-Warrior's Shout) and "Soothing Stone" (<- Revenant's Jalis' Heal).The need of flat-condi removal for the sake of "healthy" gameplay.

"Shake it off!":

• 2012 - Breaks stun,
  • 2013 - (add.) Removes 2 conditions
  • March 2018 - Removes 3 conditions in PvP/WvW
  • July 2018 - Removes 6 conditions (2 charges (1 per 50s) in PvP WvW

"Soothing Stone":

• 2015 - Removes 3 conditions, grants 2s Retaliation for each condition removed <---- Kind of a fun mechanic
  • 2018 - Removes 5 conditions (no longer split between game-modes) + 5 flat seconds of Retaliation <------ Flat gameplay

What I mean here is that these 2 skills had to adapt to the amount of conditions applied by other classes (Or themselves). Ammunition mechanic is a great idea but here, we can see that it's used to flat-cleanse a packet of condis that somoene inflicted.

BOONS

While more and more conditions are added to each classes there has to be some counterplay to it. So, what happens here is that we have tons of boons application and boon removal.

The need of boon application in order to counter the amount of conditions other apply is increasing.

Guardian:

• Hallowed Ground - applies Stability
  • Contemplation of Purity - converts conditions into Boons"Hold the Line!" - applies Protection and Regeneration
  • "Retreat!" - applies Aegis and Swiftness
  • "Save Yourselves!" - grants Fury, Might, Protection, Regeneration, Resistance, Retaliation, Swiftness and Vigor
  • "Stand Your Ground!" - grants Stability and RetaliationFirebrand:
  • Azure Sun - grants Vigor, Regeneration and Swiftness

Ranger (Soulbeast):

• Dolyak Stance (6s): Prevent movement-impeding conditions from being inflicted on you.
    • grants Retaliation and Stability
    • removes Immobilize, Chill, Cripple
    • Breaks Stun
  • Moa Stance: Increase the duration of boons by 66%, grants Protection, Swiftness, Fury and Regeneration

This is the kind of mechanic that makes sense in terms of skill usage but still - there are tools designed specifically for boon removal because sometiems there is no way to get through the number of boons some classes have. I'm not trying to hate on any class, just trying to make a point that this is what happens when we have so much stuff going on in single skills.

Revenant:

• Banish Enchantment (Mallyx) - removes 2 boons from your target and applies Confusion (varies per game-mode)

I'd also like to add that there are some skills which provide f.e. 5,25 s of boons or condis. Does that make sense to you or the standard 5 could do it (in all cases)?

This is the amount of buffs and conditions that some classes have. I haven't mentioned some classes that I know are obviously overloaded with stuff. What I'd love to know is - would you like the duration and amount of condis/boons to be normalized per class? Do you think that the Condition Application/Removal and Boon Application/Removal mechanics should be updated or reworked? Share your thoughts!

Thanks for your time :)

Archived