7700k vs 8700k specific to single thread and specific to this game.

Its true. The 8600K is definitely good enough especially since its way cheaper and can beat a 7700K. That doesn't mean its better than an 8700 or 8700K just because it has the best single thread. The i3 kaby lake had that too, but it was still just an i3.

All of this in the end comes down to how much you're willing to spend. Whatever's in your budget of not just money, but waiting and saving, is the right thing for you. Just be glad the 8700K isn't like 500+ $$$. You may as well wait around and save up for it. Getting any batch after the first shipment of CPUs helps avoid any issues they might fix later. Its more common than one might think to happen. So there's some peace of mind, for you.

GW2 will use more than one thread, plan for it. Go for the 8700k if you can afford it. Still disagree with the desire to run above 60fps anyway. Rather have cool and consistent FPS then wildly varying ones. All the while taxing the system to run it. Save the system, run the limiter.

Oh and the 8700k is still only 97watts. Most air coolers were designed for 135w cpu's. So it'll run cool with most good air coolers if you have good flow in the case.

@Maze.3825 said:

@Loli Ruri.8307 said:You guys and your 1080p and 7700K and 8700K talk. I'm doing 4790K with gtx 1080 SLI, virtual reality stereoscopics. A situation where a lot of graphical horsepower and CPU power is needed.

You best take the leap to the 8700k then for much neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeded horsey ride you require.

The problem will be, replacing all that beautiful ram that I got with this system. To be honest, unless they increase the PCI Express lanes to allow 16 + 16, or there is a dramatic improvement of single core performance, I don't see much point in upgrading.

One thing to remember, if you go 7th gen you need the 200 series, 8th gen must have the 300 series. They are NOT backwards/forwards compatible. IE: The 7700 cannot and will not run on the 370 and the 8700 cannot run on the 270.

As for performance, from what I am seeing it is about a 10-15% single core increase, and multi core brings it up to par with some instances of being better than the Ryzen 1800X.

• 1 month later...

@Zinchmwah.2067 said:A waste of money? Hm. Well, it's definitely faster than the 7700K, has a high frequency and has beaten the 1700X in workstation benchmarks. If I had it my way, I'd get the 8700K and pair it with 2 8GB 4133MHz memory. I'm only using a 6700 non K but going from 2133MHz to 3200MHz gave me 5 - 10 FPS...

Well mate thats waste of money yoir 5 to 10 fps are ate 2800 or 3000 MHz. Everything higher wont bring you much performance for the money. There are many tests on youtube from professional PC Builder and Overclocker. 4133MHz gives you maybe 3 to 6 fps more than on 3200MHz but you have to pay a lot more money for it. With 3000MHz or even with 2666 MHz you are more than fine. grab a new cpu and you get way more fps for the same amount of money lile 4133 MHz rams

i7-8700k 6 Cores 12 threads 12MB vsi5-8600k 6 cores 6 threads 9MBTo be honest if you have the money go for the i7. If you are replacing your CPU every 2 years go for the i5. If you have a 1080 you can go for the i5. If you have a 1080 ti you should go for the i7 because the i5 can bottleneck your 1080ti in some programms/games. The best for a long time solution (4+ generation until change) go for the i7. And dont ask me in which one os bottlenecking thats just from a database which is collecting datas from nearly every programm and game.The i7 will give you a performance boost in every game which is CPU related but it can be pretty small maybe not worth the money you spend.

• 4 weeks later...

This game literally blows chunks in terms of optimization...

There is NOT a single game I don't hit 100 FPS on; including most other mmo's; that look much better (FFXIV, etc) in the most populated areas. Yet... I get 7 FPS (when turning) and 35 FPS when standing still in Lions Arch.

I've got a i7 990x (yes it's old; but I use it for all gaming), 1080 Ti, 24GB RAM, Evo SSD.

In fact while playing GW2 my GPU load is only 40%, GPU is 60%; when playing all the other games my GPU load is 90+ (depending) and CPU is 10-12%.

Archived