Getting to raids as chrono tank

Banankungen.2130

Hiho y'all!

I have been playing gw2 on and off since LS1 and have been maining alot of different characters, recently I have had a hard time choosing a main, mostly because I really want to main Chrono but I seem to die to everything in pve.. Then I realized we have an awesome forum community!

Before gw2 came out I played alot of wow and was the main tank in our hardcore raiding guild, I have always liked the idea of tanking when in raids and that's why I want to enjoy and learn to play Chrono. (Along with everything else I love about Mesmers ofc). Now here comes my question. What do I need to get into raids as a Chrono?

I understand 100% boon duration and 1400 toughness is the first things I should work towards, but how do I accomplish this? Atm I have full berserker gear, with ascended weapons and trinkets, but I guess I should change these to commander? What runes and sigils should I use on everything? What build is preferred and why (qtfy has 4 different builds for power Chrono)? I would love to get help with the direction I should be taking, because I'm really lost. I don't have infinite gold so a cheaper starter version would be lovely but also the end game build I should be working towards. I hope you guys can help me with my questions because I really want to main Chrono!

And as a last question, what build should I run when I'm in open world, fractals, hot meta's and such? I guess it's not the same as the raid tank build? Because atm my dps is nowhere to be seen compared to all other classes and my survivability is the worst I have ever had haha! Please help me <3

https://qtfy.eu/guildwars/mesmer/power-chrono/

and the same for fractals:

https://qtfy.eu/guildwars/mesmer/fractal-chrono-quick-guide/

About raids, best to watch some video guide first to see what tanking in GW2 is actually like and where it applies. Then join practice raids or a guild doing practice runs and, well practice.

@Banankungen.2130 said:I understand 100% boon duration and 1400 toughness is the first things I should work towards, but how do I accomplish this? Atm I have full berserker gear, with ascended weapons and trinkets, but I guess I should change these to commander? What runes and sigils should I use on everything? What build is preferred and why (qtfy has 4 different builds for power Chrono)? I would love to get help with the direction I should be taking, because I'm really lost. I don't have infinite gold so a cheaper starter version would be lovely but also the end game build I should be working towards. I hope you guys can help me with my questions because I really want to main Chrono!

Check youtube for chrono budget builds. There are multiple videos with explenations. I'd personally recommend getting commander trinkets via Living World Season 3 and exotic berserker armor and weapons first (yes, thi is the opposite to what qtfy recommends).

@Banankungen.2130 said:

And as a last question, what build should I run when I'm in open world, fractals, hot meta's and such? I guess it's not the same as the raid tank build? Because atm my dps is nowhere to be seen compared to all other classes and my survivability is the worst I have ever had haha! Please help me <3

Power mesmer works nicely and doesn't require that much new gear. It is bit dated, but you can find the old qutfy build to work off under:

https://qtfy.eu/guildwars/mesmer/power-mesmer-quick-guide/

Otherwise condi mesmer or condi Mirage work too, but require an extra set of gear (rabid and dire aren't to expensive).

Thanks alot! I used all your tips and it worked great! Found a really nice budget build to start off with :) When I finally get gold enough to buy myself a sigil of concentration without feeling bad about it, should I aim towards 66% boon duration instead of 100?

Are there any other buffs in raid that usually increase it or do I need to get to 100% myself? Atm I have 72% with food and have a hard time getting even more..

@Banankungen.2130 said:Thanks alot! I used all your tips and it worked great! Found a really nice budget build to start off with :) When I finally get gold enough to buy myself a sigil of concentration without feeling bad about it, should I aim towards 66% boon duration instead of 100?

Are there any other buffs in raid that usually increase it or do I need to get to 100% myself? Atm I have 72% with food and have a hard time getting even more..

The SoC is a huge investment for a new chrono. Unfortunately with the food and utility nerf beginning of August, there is no efficient way around using SoC (before it was possible to reach 100% boon duration without if desired).

You don't need 100% boon durtaion to achieve permanent quickness, it does help though.

There is the banner of tactics (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Boon_Duration), but don't expect people to slot it in pug raids. The facet of nature from Herald works too but those aren't in raids currently. A guild raid with friends might be willing to adjust to this for practice runs.

A temporary solution could be to take chaos over domination as trait line for the added 3% boon duration per boon on you. You would not be able to distort attacks, but that's something inexperienced mesmer don't do anyway. Also makes sure to retrieve your SoC from your exotic weapon when upgrading to ascended (meaning definately use a Black Lion Salvage Kit).

Thanks alot for all answers! I got one last question, when looking at the build you linked, you only get 1300 toughness and 49% boon duration, + SoC thats 83%? Is that enough or is there something im missing?

Other than that i think i got everything to keep tanking! I did tank both VG and Gorseval yesterday and it worked out ok, even when not at 100% duration yet =)

Archived