[NA] [PvE] Don't want to be told the "best" way to play your character? Think copying your build from a website defeats the purpose of the game? Be accepted for your deviant inefficiencies in my new guild: Optimization Casualties [OC].

Chant.2073

Is it actually fun to rush through a dungeon with four veteran gamers who just want to get their loot as quickly as possible, and who know exactly how to do that? Plenty of people will say "yes", and that's valid. This guild isn't for those people.

I like a game that gives me a lot of choices. I like thinking about those choices, and trying out different combinations. Some choices will work, some choices will work better, and some choices will flop. Guild Wars 2 gives players a lot of choices, and that appeals to me. But it seems to me like other players expect me not to make any choices at all: I'm supposed to look up builds and skill rotations on MetaBattle, and do exactly what they say, because that will get me (and, more importantly, them) through content with maximum efficiency and minimum uncertainty.

Failing hurts, and I know ignoring others' advice makes me prone to repeating their failures. Yet I'd rather experience my own failure than someone else's success; that's what "playing" means to me, and games are meant to be played. When I ultimately do succeed, that success will be grounded in my own understanding and effort, and it will mean so much more.

If what I'm saying resonates with you, then here's my appeal: let's build a community where those ideals are the norm. Let's be patient with each other. Let's try out dungeons without anyone who's done them before, and suffer defeat a dozen times before our first clear. Let's talk about our quirky builds, and figure out ways they could complement each other. Let's put a septacaliper in an octocaliper receptacle. Let's look back at our failures and say "wow, we were dumb" with smiles on our faces. Let's experience everything in the game as though it were new. Let's actually play.

Contact me by replying to this thread, or by sending me mail ingame using my account name, Chant.2073. I take he/him/his.

• Like 5

now this is a guild i can get behind, i'm a returning player with several lvl 80 toons (Guardian, Ele, Mes) and a few others i'm leveling. currently i'm on Tarnished Coast (but willing to transfer) hope to hear from you to ask for more information 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there
Im a returning player after many years. I have a guild, but it seems that its dying now. I'm like what your saying on the forums. I'm not the greatest at these types of games, but I love to play GW2 and I want to learn. Ive got one old toon, but I decided to try out a new race, new profession and I'm doing it by trial and error. Its resulted in a stronger character than my old one. I'm looking for a new guild, now that I've got some return gaming under my belt. I would like to find another guild that is friendly and open to new and old players, not judgy about how "good" someone is and be willing to build everyone up so the guild will eventuall rock and to start learning how to do more adventures like fractals and raids, etc. Also would like some help on PVE events and completing the whole map... I'm almost there! My old guild was like this, but I had to leave for RL stuff. I'm sad its almost dead now, but I would be excited to find a new one!! I'm in MST.

Is there a time of day when most people are online? and what all do y'all normally run or do together?

PS - it would be so nice to try dungeons, I seem to never be able to find a group that doesn't just sprint through with no talking and I am always lost.

Sound like my thing, even though I have been playing since the game came out, I took a huge hiatus and  just recently got back (few months ago), so there's a lot I have yet to learn and experience with others, I normally play alone and do things on my own, but having others to play with would be awesome, I haven't done any dungeon beside Arah for the story, or any Raids, a few fractals, but I think i've done fractals 3 times? Your Guild does sound what I need and what others need 😄