E-Mail Authentification - a 30 Minute wait

Nemmm.9120

I've read for a while that you guys at Arenanet said you had fixed hte issue with server not generating the required code for mobile and e-mail athentification in a timely manner.

Well, either you didn't, or the bug/whatever caused it is back.

I had to wait around 25 Minutes yesterday, and about 30 minutes today to log in because your code generator is incredibly slow.

I cannot understand how you think this method is great.

The main issue I have, is that not only is this method a total pain, I can also effectively forget the "Remember network" option, because my IP changes every 24 hrs (Because my ISP and my country's laws require that). So, not only does it not help, it highlights to me every day how incredibly awful this authenticator nonsense is.

And I cannot even remove it from my account.

Now I know, and appreciate, that you put this stuff in, because everyone here holds their accounts very dear, and it takes a ton of work off your shoulders, arenanet, when you don't have to restore as many accounts, but, still ... I don't think taking away that option from a consumer is the way to go.

Regardless, my main request is that you take another look at your authentification-key-generator-thingie, 30 minutes wait is just not fun. And highly annoying.

I especially don't understand how this is necessary when companies like Blizzard, whom you're competing with, manage to NOT require this. I'm fairly certain their Blizzard-app has a slight bit of spyware built-in to allow them to circumvent the steps Arenanet needs to take, but still. It has me wondering.

The issue that was fixed was a completely different issue than you are describing. It is possible to remove 2FA, and use email authentication, instead. Even with IP addresses that change daily, the authenticators/verifiers will learn the range, eventually, if 'remembered'.

You can contact the CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below and 'Submit a Ticket' for assistance.

Good luck.

Keep choosing to remember the IP and it should eventually get all of them. If you switch to using a 2FA authenticator, you can run a program on your desktop that will generate a code instantly, making it the fastest option.

As for Blizzard, yes, they're using spyware for other reasons, but as for their lack of an additional required security option, that makes it much easier to phish. GW2 requires it because they assume the majority doesn't know what they're doing. It wasn't required originally early on, back when you didn't need to verify your email address.

Archived