Game client stuck downloading the patch

You will likely need to use a VPN. When GW2 gets stuck downloading a file endlessly, either the connection was dropped or something corrupted what it was downloading. This could either be caused by software on your computer, such as adware or website filters, your ISP, or a potentially bad asset server.

If you want to know what is actually happening, you can use the -log option, which will write to %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log. Use the following options to enable both logging and use the primary asset server:-log -assetsrv 52.0.137.126

As an alternative to using a VPN, you could try something a little experimental. Try my launcher, which is primarily meant for running multiple clients, but it also has a few tools built in to help with this. Starting should be fairly straightforward; simply add and give a name to your first account. After that, right click the account, select tools and asset server proxy. Under the advanced options, enable encryption / HTTPS. You can also enable logging here to see exactly what GW2 is downloading. Click the account to launch it, which will run through a few settings if you haven't already configured it. The other cause of this problem however can be due to a very slow connection, where GW2 will timeout after a minute. If this is the case, rather than downloading patches through GW2, you can try the background patching tool. Under its advanced options, scroll to the bottom and click start to recheck all of the manifests.

@"Healix.5819" said:You will likely need to use a VPN. When GW2 gets stuck downloading a file endlessly, either the connection was dropped or something corrupted what it was downloading. This could either be caused by software on your computer, such as adware or website filters, your ISP, or a potentially bad asset server.

If you want to know what is actually happening, you can use the -log option, which will write to %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log. Use the following options to enable both logging and use the primary asset server:-log -assetsrv 52.0.137.126

As an alternative to using a VPN, you could try something a little experimental. Try my launcher, which is primarily meant for running multiple clients, but it also has a few tools built in to help with this. Starting should be fairly straightforward; simply add and give a name to your first account. After that, right click the account, select tools and asset server proxy. Under the advanced options, enable encryption / HTTPS. You can also enable logging here to see exactly what GW2 is downloading. Click the account to launch it, which will run through a few settings if you haven't already configured it. The other cause of this problem however can be due to a very slow connection, where GW2 will timeout after a minute. If this is the case, rather than downloading patches through GW2, you can try the background patching tool. Under its advanced options, scroll to the bottom and click start to recheck all of the manifests.

Thanks! I used TunnelBear VPN and it worked! It is definitely my network, I've been having trouble the past week even browsing. I can finally play :smile:

Archived