Illusions vs. Domination (power)

Tinnel.4369

I tried this a lot last night with Dueling, Illusions, and Mirage with Mirror Images on the util. It's quite effective for the initial burst using GS and Jaunt traited to generate a clone to get on target with a full 3 illusion Mind Wrack then immediately F3 > Mirror Image > Jaunt > Mind Wrack again for another 3 illusion Mind Wrack. Alternatively, you can stealth and do a partial reset, swap weapons and do a sword/torch burst. Phantasmal Mage is quite nice now and the interrupt is a bonus. You can swap > Prestige > Phantasmal Mage > Sword 2 > Mirror Images and Mind Wrack during Sword 2, throwing in a Jaunt situationally to stay on target or make sure you have 3 illusions.

Mind Wrack on ammo with reduced cooldowns through Illusions line is quite nice.

@Tinnel.4369 said:Thoughts, speculation, numbers? Anyone? Bueller? :)

Me and a few others were testing these .

Illusion/Dom offered some great burst with mantra of distraction, and the ability to shatter twice was pretty awesomeIllusi/Duel offered some great continued pressure, didn't fall too far behind in power damage ( I think out shatters averaged about 1-2k off from from losing the dom trait)What I think is great about the illusion line is the reflect on dodge, and the vigor on crit. Which makes sustaining a lot easier.We came to the conclusion it was at this point personal preference but that will change as we get used to using the new power tools in places where variables are not so controlled.Personally I am a fan right now of Illusion/Dom. I like the fact that we get to use shatter more in a shorter time frame.Havent tested out power base mes yet, but I think that also got an overall boost because of the mindwrack change.

@Solori.6025 said:

Illusion/Dom offered some great burst with mantra of distraction, and the ability to shatter twice was pretty awesomeIllusi/Duel offered some great continued pressure, didn't fall too far behind in power damage ( I think out shatters averaged about 1-2k off from from losing the dom trait)What I think is great about the illusion line is the reflect on dodge, and the vigor on crit. Which makes sustaining a lot easier.We came to the conclusion it was at this point personal preference but that will change as we get used to using the new power tools in places where variables are not so controlled.Personally I am a fan right now of Illusion/Dom. I like the fact that we get to use shatter more in a shorter time frame.Havent tested out power base mes yet, but I think that also got an overall boost because of the mindwrack change.

im sorry but how is Dom/Illu better than Duel/Dom or Duel/illu ?Because you know phantasm damage got nerfed and Sword got buffed?

So now you use Superiority Complex and Finese even more than before. Shatter isn't the main damage here still. Sword skills are.

@Solori.6025 said:

In pure power I have a hard time giving up Dueling for the Fury and crit damage, but I did try Illus/Dom/Mirage too. @Curunen.8729 touched on a might stacking build with Illus/Chaos/Mirage in another thread that I'm keen to try out. In a clone spam build with the new heal signet maybe......Something like Axe/Torch, Sword/Pistol, Celestial trinkets. Reduced Axe cooldowns through Mirage with Quickness from Illusions......hmmmmm :)

@KeoLegend.5132 said:

im sorry but how is Dom/Illu better than Duel/Dom or Duel/illu ?

Mental Anguish and Confounding Suggestion from Dom offer a an extra 50% damage increase for MW on inactive targets as well as sudden control for example if you get jumped by something from stealth you can diversion and reverse burst if you're quick enough. Dom in this setting isn't taken for Phantasm's anymore because of the change you mentionedFor Straight up power, it's weaker than Dom/Duel because you miss an extra 15% crit damage modifier, but vs duel/illu with the mantra it gave a burst on average of about 1-2k more from our testing when the target is inactive. But yielded less dps over time and a little less survivability because of the lack of vigor on crit and the loss of the crit damage modifier found in Superiority Complex.

And while sword did get buffed, the instant burst combo still relies on great sword mirror blade.For most WvW encounters we use evasive mirrors, because their is always a ranger somewhere.always :angry:But in Spvp environments you are right. The sword trait is much much better now

@Tinnel.4369 said:

In pure power I have a hard time giving up Dueling for the Fury and crit damage, but I did try Illus/Dom/Mirage too. @Curunen.8729 touched on a might stacking build with Illus/Chaos/Mirage in another thread that I'm keen to try out. In a clone spam build with the new heal signet maybe......Something like Axe/Torch, Sword/Pistol, Celestial trinkets. Reduced Axe cooldowns through Mirage with Quickness from Illusions......hmmmmm :)

That sounds interesting. We are also looking into hybrid mes. The confusion nerf for durations and things hurt axe a lot, but staff seems to be a beast right now.Thinking of trying out Sword/torch & Staff

@Solori.6025 said:

That sounds interesting. We are also looking into hybrid mes. The confusion nerf for durations and things hurt axe a lot, but staff seems to be a beast right now.Thinking of trying out Sword/torch & Staff

I actually think Axe is a pretty legit power weapon and am excited to try it with some quickness and might stacking. With pistol off-hand I think you could deliver a nice burst, Magic Bullet gives some Confusion stacks, Duelist damage was already nice and personal damage got upped 230% x 3. Engage with pistol > Axe 2 x 2 > Axe 3 > F1 > F3 > F4 while cleaving to get Axe 1 conditions up.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

I actually think Axe is a pretty legit power weapon and am excited to try it with some quickness and might stacking. With pistol off-hand I think you could deliver a nice burst, Magic Bullet gives some Confusion stacks, Duelist damage was already nice and personal damage got upped 230% x 3. Engage with pistol > Axe 2 x 2 > Axe 3 > F1 > F3 > F4 while cleaving to get Axe 1 conditions up.

ooooh , i forgot about the pistol buffs ill have to try it tonight.

Archived