Transferring - I have heard both that it can be free and does not work

Aidda.8027

hi, internet. Was hoping to get an answer. I hear a lot about if you delete all your characters that you can transfer from NA to EU for free. (paid for the game no free account issues)I have had a guildie do this and she said this did not work. And on most posts about the question, there are answers about deleting your characters and the original poster coming back and saying it does not work either.

on the FAQ it says you can delete and move. So which is it? can the FAQ be updated if this has changed?

I am hoping to find a real answer from a dev so I can give better advice in the future. Thanks xoxoxo

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:It did not work for a period of time because the Demo Characters from the PoF Demo did not get removed from the API. Just recently, they were finally removed, so all characters can be deleted now, and free transfers are, again, possible. If in doubt, you can check your account in GW2efficiency before deleting.

Good luck.

their is no more free transfers at all any more. as week i found this out the hard way . going on the the school of thought with the free transfers i deleted all my 80 lvl toons on my account. to move from a T1 server to a T4 sever .

once i deleted all 5 80 lvl toons on the account and was ready to move to a T4 server., that is when i found out that you can no longer get free server transfers any more at all. which still cost me 500 gems to move to the T4 from the T1 server . lucky for me i had the gold to change to gems to pay for the server transfer to the T4 server. but now i must re level all 5 of my new toons again . iam ok with that. but it be nice if anet put it in the wiki about this on the server transfers no longer being free. but i do not think they handle the wiki stuff any more too at all .

You are mistaken; first off, 'they' are you and me: the Wiki is written and updated by players, not ArenaNet staff. Second, the reason free transfers didn't work before was the Demo characters. Why do you think they made an announcement about the Demo characters finally being purged from the API? Because it was important for free transfers and releasing names.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Why do you think they made an announcement about the Demo characters finally being purged from the API?

Because the names were still reserved, so they were letting people know who wanted to keep them. Also, it's not that they were still in the API, they were still sitting on character select; their slots were just hidden.

Transferring for free isn't exactly an officially advertised feature, so they could stop it whenever they wanted to, or limit it to new accounts, which is probably what it's actually intended for. Unless someone has actually done it recently, who knows if it still actually works, especially once they change how it works for WvW.

Archived