pvp is imbalanced beyond imagination

vove.2768

I see here feedback everyday, many of it makes total sense and it is not like someone whines "profession X is op, please nerf" "profession Y in underpowerd, please buff". People give concrete examples of what is broken and suggest how to fix it. Yet very often I join game and just looking at the composition of each team I already know what the result will be.

Why the only game mode that receives any attention is pve? Most people I know who play gw enjoy wvw the most, and it is imho the most ignored game mode. Now I started doing pvp for the season and I see it is even more broken then wvw.

And then they try to fix it and the fix is to encapsulate skills... For example thief. Thief has stealth, so we get revealed, so thief receives "remove reveal". There are attacks, so there is block, so there is ignore block, so why does the block exists in the first place if it can be ignored? Pvp is starting to look like a bag in the bag in the bag issue. Instead of analyzing the current problems, they are solved by adding counters to certain mechanics, but this is a vicious circle, because soon you will have to add counter to those counters (which you already do) and there will be a chain of skills to execute just to score 1 hit.

I don't know, is this where pvp is going? Endless chain of mechanics that counter each other? I play warrior and sometimes when I def point or go recap and there is a certain profession in there, most of the time this happens with another warrior, we can fight each other for the rest of the game because there is simply no way to win or lose if no one else from the party gets there. This is in my opinion broken by design.

So your views on sPvP are, from what it looks like, in bronze or silver games, or unranked arenas. Let's look at the things one by one.

1. PvP doesn't get any attention: We just got a massive balance patch LITERALLY for sPvP and WvW. New game types are confirmed for sPvP, and in the works. It's getting attention.
  2. WvW is getting ignored: Well, once again, balance patch EXCLUSIVE to sPvP and WvW, so there's that. Also, please go look at news on the alliance system that is coming in. They asked what the community thought, it was amazingly positive, so that's in the works right now.
  3. Skills that counter other skills: Let's look at the 2 examples that you've gives. Why block if there are unblockable skills? Well, if you block my cloak and dagger, I can't stealth, waste initiative, and have limited skills that I can actually hit you with. That relies on me having those skills available and limits what I CAN use. Besides, it's called block, not invuln. Those are separate things. Remove reveal is your other one. While I didn't "get it" at first, this is a long cooldown skill on an elite. If they want to take this, then they lose access to other elites. If they use that to stealth, you know they don't have basilisk venom or other useful elite in its place. All in all, neither of these are a huge problem in actual play as they don't happen nearly as often as you think they do. It's just frustrating when you think you know what will happen, and something different does.
  4. Mirror matchups will literally always be endless unless someone is much better than the other one. In sPvP, there is a role to literally combat this, usually referred to a +1 role. They come it, spike hard, and then leave as quickly as they came in. Thieves and mesmers are the most common to fill this role in the current game, though other classes can do well at it too. More importantly, I don't know why any player would see a warrior standing on a node and think "Wow, I should go fight a mirror matchup on something they own" because you are better off elsewhere helping your team. If they never leave it, then great. Just outnumber the other team on the other 2 nodes. A player just node camping is a drag on their team unless they are holding against more than one opponent to let their team outnumber the rest of the map. I'll commonly do that on my sword ele and hold 3 of their players so it's a 2v4 in our favor on the rest of the map. They eventually kill me, but we own the rest of the map for a while, and generate more points than my one dead body if I don't escape.

You missed the point completely and the stuff you address has nothing to do with what I wrote. You say spvp and wvw got exclusive balancing patches, but since they are more of gamebreaking than fixing things this point is completely invalid.

@thatdarnkatz.7168 said:Why block if there are unblockable skills?

That's not what I wrote.

@thatdarnkatz.7168 said:

1. Mirror matchups will literally always be endless unless someone is much better than the other one.

Which is broken by design, just as I said. It's not a matter of 1 person being better than the other one. It's simply not possible to win because tools to sustain you and heal you are superb to the damage dealt, thus causing a stalemate. Even if enemy has crap rotation I won't kill him because the invulnerabilities and passive healing, this works both ways so the duel can go indefinitely. If this isn't broken by design I don't know what is.

Your "arguments" are not convincing, so you might just walk along if you do not agree.

@"thatdarnkatz.7168" said:So your views on sPvP are, from what it looks like, in bronze or silver games, or unranked arenas. Let's look at the things one by one.

1. PvP doesn't get any attention: We just got a massive balance patch LITERALLY for sPvP and WvW. New game types are confirmed for sPvP, and in the works. It's getting attention.
  2. WvW is getting ignored: Well, once again, balance patch EXCLUSIVE to sPvP and WvW, so there's that. Also, please go look at news on the alliance system that is coming in. They asked what the community thought, it was amazingly positive, so that's in the works right now.
  3. Skills that counter other skills: Let's look at the 2 examples that you've gives. Why block if there are unblockable skills? Well, if you block my cloak and dagger, I can't stealth, waste initiative, and have limited skills that I can actually hit you with. That relies on me having those skills available and limits what I CAN use. Besides, it's called block, not invuln. Those are separate things. Remove reveal is your other one. While I didn't "get it" at first, this is a long cooldown skill on an elite. If they want to take this, then they lose access to other elites. If they use that to stealth, you know they don't have basilisk venom or other useful elite in its place. All in all, neither of these are a huge problem in actual play as they don't happen nearly as often as you think they do. It's just frustrating when you think you know what will happen, and something different does.
  4. Mirror matchups will literally always be endless unless someone is much better than the other one. In sPvP, there is a role to literally combat this, usually referred to a +1 role. They come it, spike hard, and then leave as quickly as they came in. Thieves and mesmers are the most common to fill this role in the current game, though other classes can do well at it too. More importantly, I don't know why any player would see a warrior standing on a node and think "Wow, I should go fight a mirror matchup on something they own" because you are better off elsewhere helping your team. If they never leave it, then great. Just outnumber the other team on the other 2 nodes. A player just node camping is a drag on their team unless they are holding against more than one opponent to let their team outnumber the rest of the map. I'll commonly do that on my sword ele and hold 3 of their players so it's a 2v4 in our favor on the rest of the map. They eventually kill me, but we own the rest of the map for a while, and generate more points than my one dead body if I don't escape.

In your attempt to e-emasculate the OP's post, in no way did you address anything that he actually said.

Archived