"Terror" Trait Damage Reduction more than 33%?

elin.2407

Formula to calculate the damage of "Fear" according to the official Wiki.

(0.4 * Condition Damage) + 444 ; 33% less if target has no other conditions.

If I use this formula and take my 1527 condition damage into it *((0.4 1527) + 444) my result is ~1054.8 which seems correct when I compare it to the ingame Trait showing 1055. GW2 seems to round up numbers.

If I now do the the same calculation and reduce it by 33% my result is 706.72 but ingame it says 702. To get a result of 702 or a result close to this number one would have to reduce the damage by 33.5 (701.44) or something up to 33.44% (702.07).

My best guess is that it was way easier to just say 33%** but since the Wiki usually tries to be accurate this was bothering me a bit. OCD?

Can anyone confirm this? Any official words on the real math behind this trait?

Also I don't really have any skills to edit or know how to adress this correctly in the Wiki. I left a Discussion comment though.

@"panekomo.7146" said:

Formula to calculate the damage of "Fear" according to the

(0.4 * Condition Damage) + 444 ; 33% less if target has no other conditions.

If I use this formula and take my
1527 condition damage
into it *
((0.4
1527) + 444)
my result is
~1054.8
which seems correct when I compare it to the ingame Trait showing
. GW2 seems to round up numbers.

If I now do the the same calculation and reduce it by 33%
my result is
but ingame it says
. To get a result of
or a result close to this number one would have to reduce the damage by
33.5 (701.44)
or something up to
33.44% (702.07)

My best guess is that it was way easier to just say 33%** but since the Wiki usually tries to be accurate this was bothering me a bit.
OCD?

Can anyone confirm this? Any official words on the real math behind this trait?

Also I don't really have any skills to edit or know how to adress this correctly in the Wiki. I left a Discussion comment though.

Whats your real reason for bringing this up I honestly have to ask?

There should never be a reason to worry about lower damage scaling on terror because ouy have 2-3 other traits that promise at least 1 other condition when you inflict fear which will make it deal max damage. If you are using terror with necro and you are often proc'ing terror when you foe has no other conditions you really need to rework your build or play style a bit.

It should be rare that you inflict fear when your foe has no conditions as necro especially with a condition build (assuming you took condi damage as your stats and the general condi trait lines.)

Well... it doesn't work like this I guess.It's base damage without condition + 50% more damage with a condition.702 + (50% * 702) = 1053

The wiki data are given by players and sometime they may not be accurate.In fact you can also see in the trait history at december 14, 2012 that it is how it work: damages are calculated without any other conditions and then 50% of these damage are added.

On the wiki numbers are: 296 + (50% 296) = 296 + 148 = 444.On a famous build editor: 330 + (50% 330) = 330 + 165 = 496 (which should be 495)

If a fan made damage calculator have a base formula which calculate the damage by taking the increased value as a base instead of the base value then it's bound to be wrong. Because the decrease would not be 30% but 33.3333333333...% and even thought, it would still be wrong.

Edit: So yeah, the damage formula given on the wiki is totally wrong.

Oh. I will try it by increasing the damage instead of the reduction. But that takes time, I am very bad with numbers and with understanding them.Thank you TONS!

But well, it works like I did it now. Seems to be accurate. I am using a 33.44% damage reduction. But I want all of my stuff to be as correct as possible!

Archived