PvP communication ideas

Josif.2015

Hello everyone.

Something that I've been thinking about recently is just how minimal communication is in PvP matches. There are little to no options in terms of communicating with teammates other than typing in chat. Typing during a match can cost you some time and maybe some of your contribution to your team, so I decided to give a few ideas on how to implement better ways of communicating with teammates in PvP matches.

1. Notification sounds

I'll first start with the chat panel. The chat panel doesn't have a notification sound. The only time you get a notification sound is when someone whispers you. I was thinking if we had the options to choose on what channel that notification sound will play, for example you can choose to play it in team chat, map chat, guild chat etc. Maybe even add in a variety of sounds that players can choose from. I believe this would be a nice quality of life addition to PvP. Not having a notification sound will most likely have you miss out important info from teammates like when they give call-outs.

2. Voice commands

Another idea that could potentially fix communication in PvP is to implement voice commands. If you've ever played multiplayer first-person shooters like Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 Arena and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, you'll notice that all of those games have a notification sound when someone writes a message, but they also have voice commands. With the press of a button, you can open up a menu full of voice commands that you can use to notify your teammates.

I know that map markers exist in Guild Wars 2, but I think that voice commands would be a better way of communicating with teammates rather than what we currently have. The chat panel doesn't notify you when you receive a message from your team which can cause you to miss out on some important information. I'm not expecting a whole list of voice commands, just a few necessary ones that can be very useful for your teammates to hear, such as "They're capturing the Clock Tower (Middle)!" or "They're capturing the Windmill (Home)!".

This may seem like I'm asking too much from ArenaNet, but I think it would be really nice if communication in Guild Wars 2 was expanded like this. A notification sound when someone writes a message can be very helpful as well as having voice commands will make the whole PvP experience more alive, instead of having dead silence with the only voice prompts being the norn announcer. If voice commands can't be implemented, at the very least give us the option to enable notification sounds in different chat types other than whisper.

Quake 3? Wolfenstein and unreal tournament?

What time travel portal device did you use?

Better and more modern examples:Counter strike global offensive, Dota 2, Player Unknown Battleground.

I do agree with the notion of having a voice chat since the block function is super easy to use.

Archived