Returning Player Help! :-)

Haven't played since release but bought both expansions cheap and loving it so far.

I'm having trouble deciding on a main but I want to level 3 classes with end game ranged, melee and healing potential.

I love warrior and guardian, ranger and elementalist and am intrigued by mesmer and macro though not sold on their play style.

Thong is I know they all play very differently, almost like different classes at end game. I don't want to level a ranger and find I hate playing southeast or druid for example...

If someone could breakdown the endgame play style of each of my short listed classes I'd be forever grateful!

Bonus questions!

Would it be worth boosting my chosen alt to 80, get a mount and then level my main with a mount? (seems logical to me lol)

Do level 80 boosts give mastery points or will I need to grind hero challenges etc?

Is it worth grinding up a profession or just save mats?

Thanks in advance for any help. One of the reasons I decided to give gw2 another go is because the community is so helpful and friendly! Big ups!

@"bbop.9706" said:Haven't played since release but bought both expansions cheap and loving it so far.

Hope you're having a blast.

I'm having trouble deciding on a main but I want to level 3 classes with end game ranged, melee and healing potential.

The best ranged profession is ranger, melee is pretty much every profession, see which melee profession you like most (that includes elite specializations that give certain ranged professions melee weapons) and for healing potential is engineer, elementalist, guardian, revenant. I highly recommend you try engineer with Med Kit since it got a rework not too long ago and it's amazing. It's not longer the worst healing skill/kit for the engineer and it is the supportive kit that everyone wanted it to be. It also helped me to reach Platinum in ranked PvP.

I love warrior and guardian, ranger and elementalist and am intrigued by mesmer and macro though not sold on their play style.

I would say stick with the current professions you're playing. Mesmer, like the engineer, guardian, elementalist and thief aren't exactly beginner friendly. They require more practice due to the amount of profession mechanics. But if you are already set with you keybinds and you're comfortable using them, then go ahead, try out the mesmer.

If someone could breakdown the endgame play style of each of my short listed classes I'd be forever grateful!

If you want, I can briefly describe every profession with their elite specializations:

1. Engineer

Core = Jack of all trades (DPS, support, tank, bunker)Scrapper = tankHolosmith = DPS

1. Elementalist

Core = DPS (scepter/focus, scepter/dagger, dagger/dagger), support (staff)Tempest = support (dagger/focus)Weaver = DPS with evasion

1. Guardian

Core = DPS and support mix (deal damage while also giving boons to allies)Dragonhunter = ranged DPS or bunker if you're using traps (not that necessary in PvE)Firebrand = condition support

1. Thief

Core = evasive DPS (sword/dagger)Daredevil = survival specialization for dagger/pistol with long dash to compensate the lack of evasion like core thiefDeadeye = ranged DPS

1. Warrior

Core = sustained DPSBerserker = conditionSpellbreaker = DPS with less sustain and more CC

1. Mesmer

Core = hybridChronomancer = tanky DPS that uses shieldMirage = condition

1. Ranger

Core = ranged DPSDruid = supportSoulbeast = DPS

1. Necromancer

Core = hybrid/conditionReaper = melee DPSScourge = condition

1. Revenant

Core = DPS with minor condition damageHerald = tanky supportRenegade = ranged DPS

Bonus questions!Would it be worth boosting my chosen alt to 80, get a mount and then level my main with a mount? (seems logical to me lol)Do level 80 boosts give mastery points or will I need to grind hero challenges etc?Is it worth grinding up a profession or just save mats?

If you have an alt, don't use level 80 boosters. The gear you get is terrible and it's better to craft the gear you want and not the one the boosters give you. I would recommend if you play PvP a lot is to save Tomes of Knowledge. If you desperately need a level 80 alt, use the tomes to level the alt up to level 80.

Thanks in advance for any help. One of the reasons I decided to give gw2 another go is because the community is so helpful and friendly! Big ups!

You're welcome. Not everyone is helpful, regardless of communities. Just stick to those members of the community that help you.

Archived