I want to change my account name. I prematurely made it last year. i should of said sooner i kno.

So is the development team able to change my account name to something of my choosing? I don't want this account name I have now. my character name is not the situation by the way. its my -----> NAME.0000 <----- I have one I would like to use but I am not posting it here.

That' going to need a ticket sent in.More info can be found here: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000728148-I-Want-to-Change-My-Display-Name

In short go to support (button at the top of the page) submit a ticket, give them as much info as you can to prove it's you, explain why you need the change, and what name you want to change it to. After that wait for a response (might be a while).

Seems to be not 100% they will do it, but its likely in your case. Good luck.

Generally we do not offer display name changes ...because of a very hard and fast rule:
Don't Break Your Customer's Account

Changing display names can break your ability for social interactions in the game. And by break, I am speaking of users whose display names were changed in 2014 who still are broken today. The way display names are handled, we only change them in very specific circumstances and often even then only on a case-by-case basis after checking the account's age and situation. We always warn users, even if we do offer the change, that things could break. And the worst is:
There is no way for us to 'unbreak' things. once broken, you're stuck and nothing we do will fix you.

... If we change your display name, we risk breaking your guild, your in-game mail, your ability to interact with the trade post and your whispers. In an MMO, we'd risk dooming a user to not being able to interact on any of the common social channels for days, weeks - or years.

If it's something like a first name, chances are we deny. You can always ask to have your ticket be escalated and have a supervisor review it. But if we say no to a display name change, we say no because we are likely to utterly wreck your game account. And we simply do not want to risk that, as we cannot un-wreck.

Sorry, but we do not change display name on request because "I no longer like it" or "I got bored of it". Changing a display name utterly wrecks your game account, and the amount of time it remains broken can be anything from 2 weeks to years. We changed a user in 2013 who never recovered full use of their whispers, in-game mail, guild functions, and trade post interactions. There is no way to fix it for us, and 'going back' to a display name does not work.

If a user has their RL name in the display name, we make the change if asked, however, the game account could end up being no longer usable for regular social interactions. Basically: Anything a display name touches in the game could break, and we have no means of ever fixing that.

I'm very sorry. We've been looking into ways of making it work over the years, but so far have not found a safe way that does not break things.

(Naturally, if someone uses an offensive name, we force one name change. That the account may break is a risk that will have to be accepted. The alternative would be to close accounts with offensive display names, which we do if the account was clearly made to troll.)

Thanks well I guess ill stick to what I got. its not my full name and its definitely not something im willing to break if it cannot be fixed for an indefinite amount of time. ill take most of your advice guys and keep what I got. thanks for making me more aware :) and being concerned for us players makes me feel like I owe you guys one!

@Matt.4276 said:Thanks well I guess ill stick to what I got. its not my full name and its definitely not something im willing to break if it cannot be fixed for an indefinite amount of time. ill take most of your advice guys and keep what I got. thanks for making me more aware :) and being concerned for us players makes me feel like I owe you guys one!

You're in good company. I've seen a lot of such posts and there's more than a little confusion about why ANet doesn't change names (and whether they can or even should). (Heck, in case it's not clear, you might say that my own display name was, let's just say, ill-conceived on a number of levels and I would have happily changed it before launch.)

I'm sorry it's not more useful news. But, at least you know their limitations now.

Archived