Need help being sold on a class

I was going to main Thief, but then (me being me, and being an altaholic) I played Ranger and LOVED the tactics. Unlike Thief who puts all their eggs into one basket, then plays to emphasize that basket (which is fun gameplay, don't get me wrong)--- Ranger plans ahead of you in build, approach, and actions in order to be effective and I LOVED that in my Spvp games. I ended up being condition burst soul beast with an emphasis on life steal and poison (it turned out to be rather disgusting, I melted people). I was satisfied "Gonna main ranger now", and here we are and I'm looking at Revenant. I love the skill animations. I love how in Spvp my Shiro/Jalis Lockdown-Shutdown build can find an opponent and kill them EVERY time (except for Holosmith who looks so GOSH DARN COOL!). I love how none of my Revenants abilities are not worth using in that build (both heals and elites are good, all utilities have a point where I go "should work").

And I have no doubt, now that I've seen Holosmith tank an entire team, that I'm going to go check that out. I really need help.

I will be alting like mad LATER. However, I want to find a character I can play through 100% of the content (content being: Story, Living Story, Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire, and then some group content like Raids, Fractals, or Dungeons) to get a grasp on the game. I really can't choose. Revenant and Holosmith look awesome! Thief and Ranger have me planning my actions around optimizing output and minimizing reactions to me which is fun because I like to out-think people in Spvp.

I'm about halfway through my 3rd week. I really want to hunker down and play the game out. I'm currently alting all over the place, crafting, exploring, pvping, doing Silverwastes, and completing HMS Divinity (which may turn out to be a different legendary).

For some of us it doesn’t get any easier. While my Ranger has clocked up the most play hours by far, I get distracted by skritt shinies on other professions...

If you do end up being able to settle with one profession for a while, I offer you my congratulations! :3

I would not base your decision to choose a class for fractal/open world pve on your spvp experience. The two game modes play very differently and builds that rock fractals can be terrible in spvp. Spvp is a great place to go alt crazy, because character progression does not matter there. That said, you should choose a class that's fun to pve with based on your pve experience with that class. If you like destroying things, which based on your ranger experience I think you do, I would recommend necromancer/scourge. It's very versatile with a higher base health than most classes, barrier abilities and condition area skills. You can output a lot of damage on groups or single target while keeping a comfortable amount of self preservation. Scourges do well in fractals, dungeons, and open world without being frustrating to play.

Play all of them for a bit, see what you like most, then go for it.I'd personally recommend Thief, Mesmer and Engineer. Thief being my Main and Mesmer being a close second. Thief and Mesmer both share in how they thematically and practically function, nowadays Mesmer requires a little less planning, but still. I love it's theme.Engineer is just a solid overall profession. It can do anything and it'll do just fine no matter what is thrown at it. Love it for that exact versatility.But yeah... Just take everything out for a spin, play them for a bit in PvP, look up some PvE rotations and try those on some things, see how you like it.Maybe 10-15 minutes per class to grab a quick feel...

Archived