The Departing — Guild Wars 2 Forums

The Departing

tippolit.3591tippolit.3591 Member ✭✭✭
edited September 26, 2017 in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

This is bugged. Connection was lost twice after an excruciatingly long fight immediately after Balthazar says "you won't". Highly annoyed.

Update: Got past the bug on 3rd attempt, then, after another very long battle with the Eater of Souls, ANOTHER disconnect and no credit!!!

<1

Comments

• +2. I did 'The Departing' twice last night and was disconnected right when he said something like "it is sad you will die so far from home," and I didn't get credit for anything either time. The second time I did it I paired up with another player saying he also had the problem at the same spot.

• Glider.5792Glider.5792 Member ✭✭✭

There is another bug, if you talk to the Judge before the npc leads you to him (before you were supposed to talk to him), you cannot talk to him again and the instance stalls. Happened to me yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeFWMeskOJhk8N-SvOFCJXA
    Fractal speed kills, raids, Black Lion Chest Openings, random.

• Having the same issue. The fight takes forever, and then at the end, after he says "you wont" nothing happens for about thirty seconds, then the client crashes. Has happened three times so far.

• I'm having the same issue. 2 or 3 times during the Balth fight either I get DC'ed at the cinematic or my gf does. Then if we make it pass there when Joko starts talking at the end one of us gets DC'ed again, 3 or 4 times so far for a total of 6 or 7 tries.

• Happened to me as well. No save points for a VERY long instance. Beyond frustrating. I was thinking about getting my boyfriend and bestie to join in on the fun but there is no way I will subject them to this. Please, ANET fix your instances. New players to the franchise won't stick around with this kind of frustration.

• Would like to add my own bug report to this. Played through The Departure twice in the past hour or so, both times it disconnects when talking to Joko AFTER defeating the Eater of Souls. I'm on a cliffhanger here! Please fix ASAP, thanks! The last thing in the conversation thread before the game crashes is my character saying (SPOILER!!!)
    "I need your army, but I don't need you". I have not gotten past this part yet.

• That's exactly when I crash too. Thought I'd give it one more go tonight and... Bob's you're uncle, I crashed again. Gonna put down the game for a few days and come back when they can get the story instances more stable. back to my PS4 I go!

• Toolbox.9375Toolbox.9375 Member ✭✭✭

@Talecgosa.7326 said:
    Would like to add my own bug report to this. Played through The Departure twice in the past hour or so, both times it disconnects when talking to Joko AFTER defeating the Eater of Souls. I'm on a cliffhanger here! Please fix ASAP, thanks! The last thing in the conversation thread before the game crashes is my character saying (SPOILER!!!)

I've not had the problem, but my friend did. It disconnected him twice at this same point, give or take 10 seconds. It worked after he left the party we were in. Not sure if that's just a coincidence, or if being in a party had anything to do with it.

• @Talecgosa.7326 said:
    Would like to add my own bug report to this. Played through The Departure twice in the past hour or so, both times it disconnects when talking to Joko AFTER defeating the Eater of Souls. I'm on a cliffhanger here! Please fix ASAP, thanks! The last thing in the conversation thread before the game crashes is my character saying (SPOILER!!!)

I have this too, been stuck on this story step since Friday. Very very frustrating, I have tried it multiple times per day and it always disconnects me right after this line. First there were lots of problems with instances so I thougth it was related to that, but now I even get it during offhours so it must be something else.
    Please I have played through that story about 16 times now, in parties and without, it always gives me this DC.

I''ll try repairing GW2 again, maybe the sound file has been damaged for Joko's next line, but I dont see why what would give a disconnect instead of a different error.

• Guys, repair your GW2 data, and it will finally work!

Check this for instructions:
    https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201863008-Repairing-the-Game-Client

• @Infyra.6123 said:
    Guys, repair your GW2 data, and it will finally work!

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201863008-Repairing-the-Game-Client

Disagree, I did this on 2 accounts fine, my 3rd account is having this issue, same PC.

• This also has occurred with me many times. (Dc's after ''you won't and when joko makes his offer) I do not lag out at all outside of this story mission. It bugs me to see people flying around on griffins and I'm over here attempting one mission for a sixth time.

• @Infyra.6123 said:
    Guys, repair your GW2 data, and it will finally work!

This actually worked for me! For those who haven't tried it, it's worth a go. Much thanks.

• My repair keep stopping responding too. lol Other than that I have the same issues as above.

• I did repair. I tried it again. As useuall. I made it to, "so sad you die so far from home". then nothing, game crashes reboot, etc etc.

• Was able to complete by simply tabbing out when I got to the Joko part, don't know if that was really the issue but it worked.

• I was able to get past this on the third try. I turned all my graphics to lowest setting (not sure if this helped or not but it's one of the things I did), and as soon as I defeated the Eater of Souls I ran past Joko and up to the gate to the portal. After Joko's conversation, as soon as the prompt to open the gate came up, I spammed it and jumped through the portal. I hope this helps!

• VogonWarper.5841VogonWarper.5841 Member
    edited September 28, 2017

Odd. My sequence is different.
    Kill eater of Souls
    Freed souls cheer and helper gives a speech
    See message door is open go to it.
    Joko speaks.
    get kicked out of game client.

• @VogonWarper.5841 said:
    Odd. My sequence is different.
    Kill eater of Souls
    Freed souls cheer and helper gives a speech
    See message door is open go to it.
    Joko speaks.
    get kicked out of game client.

Update - Success
    The account having issue Vogon2,was moved over to my iMac and Vogon1 which had already completed this joins party on PC and launched the story.
    Vogon1 did Balthazar fight
    Vogon1 did all the running around and killed Souleater.
    Vogon2 was waiting at the door, cant interact.
    Vogon1 moved to gate as Joko is speaking. Speech over , door is open end of story.

• Day 3 of the same story. I finally made it to the Judge (2 more crashes) and killed the eater of souls. Final cut scene(I think) , I crashed again. wth. I will try jumping through the gate asap. If this doesn't work. I will go back to map completion till its fixed. I cant count how many hours I spent on this One story line....

• Same here as well, Balthazar says "you wont" and 20 seconds of nothing and game crashes 3 attempts same spot :(

• @Talecgosa.7326 said:

I too, had the disconnect after defeating Eater of Souls and then talking to Joko, twice. The solution is not game data, or graphics, its a progression mechanic. Make sure when you kill the Eater of Souls that you are far enough away from Joko so that he DOESN'T speak to you. You do this because the Little girl is supposed to talk to you first and departs to recieve her reward from the Judge at which point you make ur way to the gate and that's when Joko will talk to you again. Good Luck!

• Bendigo.5798Bendigo.5798 Member
    edited September 29, 2017

@Talecgosa.7326 said:
    Would like to add my own bug report to this. Played through The Departure twice in the past hour or so, both times it disconnects when talking to Joko AFTER defeating > the Eater of Souls. I'm on a cliffhanger here! Please fix ASAP, thanks!

My gf and I both had the same issue repeatedly, on different accounts and on different PCs - both while in a party together and solo. I scoured the forums and came up with this list of things to try. Normally when troubleshooting, I'd try one thing at a time, but this story chapter was so tedious to re-attempt that I gave in and just did all these things at once.... and it appears to have worked. I'll list them in the order that I think is more likely to have been relevant.

Quit the chapter (The Departing) in the story journal, then re-started it. Started moving up the staircase to the gate blocking the exit portal as the Eater of Souls was nearly defeated and so that I could run to the gate immediately upon his death. The Joko dialog started and I listened to it all from the top of the staircase by the gate. I pressed "F" the instant the gate "Open" option became available and hopped through the portal and successfully completed the chapter.

Other things I did that may or may not have helped: Followed the "My Purpose" bird around the map and let each sequence play completely before moving on to the next. Rebooted my home network's router and my PC before starting the game client. Ran the game client with the "-repair" option to repair the archive. Ran it after the Sept 28th patch that came out around 7pm EDT (though patch notes don't mention "The Departing").

• I will try all of these options again and see if it works

• Update. turned off story, rebooted game. restarted story. I have finally made it through this one... Yay

• My boyfriend and I are having the same issue. We've done this mission several times. Killed the Eater of Souls and as we go to talk to Joko, BAM crash. Every. Single. Time. Repairing the game didn't fix for us. I don't know what to do at this point.

• I'm at attempt #14. No fixes have helped, and I've tried them all. It's been a little over 2 weeks since I've been stuck at this point, hardly bothering with gw2 now since I can't progress.

• Brandon.7319Brandon.7319 Member
    edited October 20, 2017

I went through all of these described fixes for the Raptor quest at the very beginning of the expansion. Was stuck for days. Don't tell me I'm going to have to go through that whole ordeal again... Did they literally murder everyone at the quality assurance department?

• I'm having same issue. For days before the Halloween patch, was trying. It always disconnected after Balthazar put me down for the last time. I hear Aurene cry then it just goes quiet, then poof error 7 something, and disconnects. Tried after the patch and the the Game repair when I logged out the other day. Well the first fight went great made it to the Domain of the lost. Went through all that, and then just for jiggles ran to the portal, and just as Joko was about to stop talking I assume it error 7 again and disconnected. Ive basically stopped doing the story at this point, and not really gonna do anything till someone says something. A Dev or someone says hey guys we are looking into it, and are trying to solve the issue. Totally stopping my progress, in the story. Level 80 Necro. Would be nice to hear something from the team...
    Thanks for reading...

• Lanhelin.3480Lanhelin.3480 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017

I suggest to limit FPS to 30 in graphics settings and to keep doing something during dialogue sequences (running around, jumping, using skills) to keep the graphics card busy. My suspicion: it is a programming issue I also encountered in other games like ESO and Witcher 3: when the graphics card has nearly nothing to do in such sequences its usage drops significantly, but then when something should happen and in case fps are set to unlimited the card performs significantly high in less than a second. This high difference of voltage causes a gpu signal drop out for a milli- or even nanosecond and results in a disconnection (single player games would crash). In other games this can happen in dialogue sequences too or menues or inventory where the gpu usage drops to under 5% and suddenly jumps to 100%. The FPS limitation prevents the high voltage difference. And doing something keeps the gpu usage higher to prevent it even further.

Edit:
    These dcs I also got in every single dungeon after watching a video or in the second after other party members finished to watch them. Yesterday and after limiting fps and doing something while the others watched I got no dc in Sorrows Embrace. I dared to watch the video in Citadel of Flame right before the last boss instead of cancelling it and guess what happened - I got a dc.
    But I was able to finish the second PoF Story mission on two characters where I always got a dc in the dialogue sequence right before I should get the fire extinguisher.

• Same here, 2 fights, same problem... after the "ROAR" disconnect for me and a friend of mine

• now we limited framerate, all went well until after the fight with the beast in the netherworld, after that fight, Joko said something, and inmidst i got disconnected.

• Also getting the same disconnect after the Roar. Please fix this. I have attempted this 6 times. I am sick of doing this fight. I want to complete the story.

• Mine worked on the 5th try:
    Ran the -repair option on GW2.exe
    Set max FPS to 30
    I did not wait for the dialog to finish at each stop of the My Purpose bird - I just ran right through all that.

• I FINALLY got through it.

The first time I played it, I crashed at the Joko monologue. All following times I crashed after the Balthazar fight.
    I ran the -repair on GW2.exe and set max FPS to 30, but I still crashed after Balthazar. After that, I:

Lowered all the graphics to their lowest settings
    Quit the story
    Restarted the game
    Restarted the story

@Lanhelin.3480 said:
    I suggest to limit FPS to 30 in graphics settings and to keep doing something during dialogue sequences (running around, jumping, using skills) to keep the graphics card busy.

Since I kept crashing after the Balthazar fight when you’re immobile, I waved the camera around wildly, and the cutscene finally played
    I waited to go talk to the judge until Nenah takes you, so I didn’t get the bug where he won’t talk to you
    I ran past all the white purpose birds
    When Joko starts trying to bargain with you, I ran past up to the gate and jumped around/used skills until I could go through the gate

and I FINALLY got through. I don’t know what, if any, of the things I tried helped, but success for now.

• Lanhelin.3480Lanhelin.3480 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017

@zeffisapirate.4528 said:
    Since I kept crashing after the Balthazar fight when you’re immobile, I waved the camera around wildly, and the cutscene finally played

yeah, camera rotation I forgot to mention =)

It nevertheless is strange. I don't know what data is saved on our harddiscs but I assume the whole instanced dungeons/story chapters are. And that's where the dcs occur, because we don't get dcs in any other content, be it pvp, wvw or open world. It only happens in instanced areas. It's a programming issue and ANet programmers should resolve it.

• Dor Bell.7368Dor Bell.7368 Member
    edited October 30, 2017

I needed to scream when i got disconnected at that point. I really don't think the lower frame rates , rebooting of modems , laptops was the fix for the issues. Who ever got past this disconnect by doing that - got lucky. I'll try again the next time we get patched.

• Joining in on the frustration here. I made it to the "Listen to Joko's offer" step yesterday and it crashed/disconnected after the "I need your army, but I don't need you" line. Figured it was a fluke with my connection (even though that's been incredibly rare with my current setup), and tried again today. This time the disconnect occurred at the end of the battle with Balthazar, after the dialogue: "I don't want to kill you", then he responds "You won't". It made it through some of the cutscene after that, so I'm not sure exactly where it cut out (I was drinking coffee and not paying close attention, since I'd already seen it before...).

I'll try some of the suggestions above and report back. If it's really a graphics-related glitch, it might be interesting (and helpful to devs?) to gather some device info here. My card is an AMD Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 280x... not sure what version my driver is at, but I'll plan on updating to the latest version before my next attempt.

• Ok , i managed it .
    After i got all the same Bugs like all others and nothing helped i switched the Client to the 32Bit Version and i end up "The Departing" .
    It seems that the 64Bit Client is buggy .

• @Yargor.5291 said:
    Ok , i managed it .
    After i got all the same Bugs like all others and nothing helped i switched the Client to the 32Bit Version and i end up "The Departing" .
    It seems that the 64Bit Client is buggy .

So I tried a 3rd time yesterday, after updating my graphics card driver to the latest recommended version (I was a few weeks behind). Still no luck, disconnected at the end of Balthazar fight again.

Today, as I was going to repair my client, I was reminded that there is also a 32 bit client (I've been using 64-bit since it became available). I went ahead with the repair, but ran the 32-bit client instead. Finished the story with no issues!

Might be a little premature to declare that this is "the fix", but if anyone else is tired of retrying this story and hasn't tried this, it's worth a shot!

• MachineManXX.9746MachineManXX.9746 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2017

So, how does one switch to the 32 bit client? I see that I am using the 64 but I don't see anything about a 32 and am unsure how to change.

Edit - Never mind, I figured it out.

• Unbelievably after all this time, this still seems to be bugged. I just got disconnected twice, after Balthazer gives me the "so sad for you" line after fighting him for half of eternity. Guess it's time to try the 32 bit client myself. Sigh.

• Okay, switched to 32 bit client and right away was able to get through the bit with Balthazar. Then went through all that stuff in the after life and just when I was about to finally get out of there I had to listen to one more offer from Jojo boy - then client lost connection again. Are you kidding me?! At least divide those two scenarios up so that we don't have to go through the fight with Balthazar again to finish up in the afterlife part.

• Crashed again -- 3rd time. This is ridiculous. No comment from ANet is disappointing.

• Was disconnected twice and always at the end of it...this is nuts...it already take ages to get through the part with Balth
    and then this happend...

• Still Broke, Tried Twice today. Killed Eater DC during Joko blabbering

• SinisterSlay.6973SinisterSlay.6973 Member
    edited November 26, 2017

I've tried over and over and over, I cannot get past the point where balth knocks you down and you die.
    One time I got past that with the help of someone else being in my party (why does that make a difference?) and it instead glitched out in the afterlife. This whole story instance is screwed. And today, I am disconnecting in every story instance while trying to help my GF. I am getting ready to want a refund, the game is completely broken.
    I've tried repair, the 32 bit client, maxing and min'ing my graphics card, everything. It's just broken.

• Still haven't been able to go past this either. Radeon R9 380.
    Does anyone have any insights if trying on another character helps? or a different computer with different hardware?

• Same issue - disconnected twice in the "I need your army, but I don't need you" line in the final dialogue with Joko. Man, this is frustrating.

• I have tried too many times, and the mission is rather long and there's nothing to do in most of it - it's to the point where I would rather go mop the kitchen than face that story again :(

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.