Dungeon Cut-scene DCs

I rarely ever DC from the game but recently I've been running dungeons for tokens and I've noticed a pattern. Whenever a cut-scene pops up, there seems to be roughly a 10% chance of me DCing. 10% may not sound like much, but when there are several cut-scenes per dungeon, chances are I'll DC every other dungeon. One dungeon was so bad I actually DC'd half the cut scenes (but then also ran it another time with no DCs). The rest of the dungeon is fine with no issues. It's just the cut scenes (which I skip) that DC me. Anyone else have this problem?

@"Boysenberry.1869" said:I rarely ever DC from the game but recently I've been running dungeons for tokens and I've noticed a pattern. Whenever a cut-scene pops up, there seems to be roughly a 10% chance of me DCing. 10% may not sound like much, but when there are several cut-scenes per dungeon, chances are I'll DC every other dungeon. One dungeon was so bad I actually DC'd half the cut scenes (but then also ran it another time with no DCs). The rest of the dungeon is fine with no issues. It's just the cut scenes (which I skip) that DC me. Anyone else have this problem?

There are always some people who DC during cutscenes or sometimes during heavy-chatter scenes that take place during personal or living world stories. Near as I can tell from what details get published from the players and ANet, there isn't a single reason. In a lot of cases, there's some sort of minor network issue on the player's end, one that is only noticeable under odd circumstances. In other cases, it might be a problem with the game's servers, but that seems to be less likely. There's no way to be certain what it is just from describing the symptoms.

Which is just a long way of saying: could be just about anything. Open a support ticket and work with ANet directly to track it down. If it's on their end, they'll need the data they can get from you. And if it's not, they can help you troubleshoot.

In the meantime, there's a fairly reliable work-around that I've seen prevent the issue for a lot of people: spam your skills (Any skill, although the [1] skill is easiest to use repeatedly.) Do that any time your character is idle for more than say a minute (and start sooner than that if you've DC'd once before). Do it even during cutscenes (the game will see your character using skills, even if you cannot).

That has the effect of "reminding" the game that you're still connected and you want to keep playing. And please, please, please don't disconnect to save some minor amount of bandwidth. It's one of those "this shouldn't work, but it does" sorts of tricks.

Good luck and let us know what you discover.

Out of paranoia I do spam my skills sometimes while someone is watching their cut-scene. I never have DC'd while doing that although the sample size is small since I've only done it occasionally (usually after having already DC'd earlier). I'll have to make a mental note to just spam them every time and hopefully avoid future DC's. Thanks for the tip.

Archived