Trait/Skill Update

Einlanzer.1627

I understand why some of the changes were made to support the framework behind elite specializations, but, honestly, for the most part the skill/trait system worked better before that big overhaul than it does now as it allowed for much greater freedom of customization, which I think is hugely important in a game like GW2. I think it's time we get some updates to the system. Here are a few things I'd propose -

-first, it doesn't make much sense to tie skills and traits to the same unlock resource/mechanic. They are supposed to supplement each other, not be in competition with each other. I'd revert back to hero points = skill points and put trait unlocking under a new compendium-style system as it once was.

-second, we should be able to freely pick traits (with a limit) across all 5 trait lines like we used to be able to. What I propose is to go back to a system of trait points, and to have all 5 core trait lines always available to put points in as it used to be. There would be a sixth line unlocked at level 80 which would hold a single chosen elite spec (which could be swapped out). Merely having this elite line "equipped" would give you access to the weapon for it, which would mean you could play around with newly unlocked elite specs without gimping yourself while you work to fully master them (you could utilize all your trait points in the 5 core lines). I think this is one of the most broken aspects of the current elite spec system "yay, you unlocked your new elite spec and gained access to a new weapon, but now you're weaker because you you can't assign traits for your third specialization. Better stow it until you fully master it hours later!"

-third, I would add a bit more immersion to the process of unlocking and mastering elite specs. Simply making them use the same resource as standard skills/traits but scaled way higher is a pretty lazy system. It doesn't necessarily need to be woven into the story in a complicated way, but it should be more immersive than "cap these HP worth 10 points until you master it."

-fourth, there is virtually no in-game guidance on what different traitlines are designed to do for you. I'd add some flavor text to each existing trait and skill line that helps guide players based on their thematic preferences.

The only thing I really agree with you on is having flavor to explain what each trait line is designed to do. It's not hard to figure out by reading them, but I do think it would be a good addition.

The thing I disagree with you on is immersion for unlocking elite specs. I get the concept, and I would kind of like to see more attention paid to the lore aspect of it myself, but we already (sort of) went down that route and the middle system for traits was their execution of it. I literally quit playing for a while over how that was handled and the communication around it. I'm extremely wary of changing it again to see what their idea of 'immersion' is. I'm fine with the NPCs on the maps you can talk to for lore. Maaaaaaybe I'd be ok with having to talk to one of them before starting down that path, but that's about it. And they'd have to be right there, ready to talk to you, no hunting them down. I just ... seriously bad flashbacks.

Archived