Internet Stutter = Missing Daily/Items

Today I learned that when my internet picks a terrible time to stutter I can lose in-game stuff. I suffered a complete disconnect while mining my home quartz node and came back to no quartz and a used up node. Then I decided to foolishly continue doing dailies while still stuttering. I completed my mining daily (which was my third) at the same time as a stutter and lost out on the mining reward, 2 gold and spirit shards. I hoped re-logging (also tried swapping characters) would cause all of my chests to re-appear but they did not. :'(

It seems as though items and rewards should be credited to the character regardless if they disconnect or not. My account/character files are on the server not my computer so it shouldn't matter if I can suddenly no longer be contacted. Maybe I just don't understand how the game and player interact. Anyways, it seems like a bug to me so here it is. A missing quartz node (my favorite node...), a mining daily reward, 2 gold and some spirit shards doesn't sound like much but for someone who avoids grind like the plague it really adds up. Also I've been in a foul mood all day so I had to get this off my chest. Maybe in the future they can add in something that checks to see if you got the reward. It did credit me with the 10 AP. That's something I guess.

There's probably not much that can be done, in the narrow situation in which your computer sees you finish gathering, you DC without actually keeping the results, while the signal has already been sent, telling anet servers about the situation. If the computer waited, it would be easier to fake things and cheat.

I don't mean that your loss is any less painful. It's just that ANet can't really tell if you're DCing or if you're pulling the plug, or something else.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Taking the quartz node for example, I hit the node and immediately disconnect. The server acknowledged that I hit the node because the node is no longer available. It should also have added the contents of the node to the character regardless of whether I disconnected or not. I don't understand how this could be cheated since the node is used up anyways. Is there data stored on the players end and that's what messes it up? I always figured all important data like character and account stuff would be on the servers only.

Archived