A suggestion regarding banners and spirits

Newrad.5139

TLDR at the bottom if you're lazy but please read the whole thing. Feedback is appreciated as long as it's not "This bad/dumb/lame ect.," or "You're bad/dumb/lame ect."I think the problem most people have with banners and spirits isn't that they exist, but that they're unique. With that in mind, I thought up this.

Guardian trait Perfect Inscriptions changed to:Healing and Elite Signets gain reduced recharge and improved passive effects. Utility Signets no longer have an activated ability, instead passively boosting 2 stats for allies within range.Recharge Reduced: 20%Effectiveness Increased: 20%Utility Signet Radius: 600Number of Allied Targets: 10Effects do not stack with Warrior Banners

Bane Signet gives 170 Power and 170 FerocitySignet of Wrath gives 170 Condition Damage and 170 PrecisionSignet of Mercy gives 170 Healing Power and 170 ConcentrationSignet of Judgment gives 10% reduced Damage and Condition Damage taken and 170 Toughness

Engineer trait Experimental Turrets changed to:Turrets no longer Overcharge when first placed, instead granting Boons and an additional buff to allies in the areaHealing Turret: Vigor (3s) and a chance to heal when attacking (note: would still grant regen as well)Flame Turret: 3 Stacks of Might (10s) and a chance to Burn enemies when attackingRifle Turret: Fury (5s) and a chance to grant bonus damage to nearby alliesRocket Turret: Retaliation (3s) and a chance to apply vulnerability when attackingThumper Turret: Protection (3s) and a chance to gain additional Protection when hitNet Turret: Swiftness (10s) and a chance to Cripple enemies when attackingBuff Interval: 10 secondsBoon Radius: 600Buff Radius: 1,000 (note: attack ranges would be unchanged)Effects do not stack with Ranger Spirits

These changes apply to professions that already have an idea somewhat close to the unique buffs in their current traits and would enable slightly more flexibility in group comp as far as the unique buffs are concerned. I feel pretty good about the Guardian changes, as the only things you lose that might matter in PvE is the stun on Bane Signet, but Guardian has decent CC without it and could always take Hammer of Wisdom if they needed additional that badly. I'm not much of a PvPer, so I'm not sure how badly the res on Signet of Mercy would be missed, but this doesn't strike me as a PvP trait anyway. Maybe I'm wrong about that. The other issues I see is not with Guardian itself, but with Warrior potentially losing a spot in PvE because Guard gives the banner buffs with better dps. That's almost a pro though, as it could incentivize Anet to look at Warrior and make some changes instead of allowing it to stake by on the strength of it's unique buffs alone.

I'm less sure about the Engi changes, as I have very little experience with the profession. I was trying to keep the idea of the original trait as much as possible, but I'm not entirely sure these changes would be balanced. And maybe the trait would need to be swapped with something in a different line for it to work build wise? Again, not an Engi player.

TLDR: Change traits for Guardian and Engi so Signets and Turrets match, but do not stack with, the unique buffs of Warrior Banners and Ranger Spirits.

So more powercreep and less diversity because you'd want all 4 classes in every group?

What's good about that?

edit: nvm..misread the stacking part. However I still dont see how this is helping considering that engi and guard are already strong dps picks, warr has nothing good besides banner build and druid still provides easiest 10 man might, aoe immob and all other stuff.

The whole point is to give a little more choice in group comp. The new Guardian Signets would not stack with Warrior Banners, and the new Engi Turrets would not stack with Ranger Spirits, so bringing all 4 and making them all trait for the buffs would be a waste.Edited to make my point clearer.

@steki.1478 said:So more powercreep and less diversity because you'd want all 4 classes in every group?

What's good about that?

edit: nvm..misread the stacking part. However I still dont see how this is helping considering that engi and guard are already strong dps picks, warr has nothing good besides banner build and druid still provides easiest 10 man might, aoe immob and all other stuff.

I definitely agree with your point on Warriors, would love to see them get some love. And yes, Druids are still pretty powerful, but I think addressing the issue with the spirits could go towards fixing that. If nothing else it's something for players who aren't top tier to run if they don't want to or can't get the people for meta comps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you're suggesting to duplicate/provide the unique buffs to another class in your example.

It will shorten the time to form a party with the required buffs (since player's no longer need to look for a specific class) to a certain extent, depending on how many classes have access to the buffs.

There will be a powercreep for sure when something is added into the equation. Eg. Engi will be replacing druid, turrets will be surperior than spirits with the function to attack, providing dps. Same goes for signets, the buff is an addition to what it has.

Players welcome buffs, but for the purpose of "balancing", an equalvalent needs to be taken out of the equation. Nerf :frown: ?. Eg. Turrets deal lower damage or unable to attack? It will kill turret builds completely. Same for the signets. That's why balancing is difficult, it can streamline and remove a class if not done carefully.

Archived