Elite Specialization's name (question/suggestion)

TheLadyOfTheRings.9148

Hey everyone! I have a quick question:

Would you like the option to hide the name of the elite specialization? What I mean is, choosing whether the name of the specialization replaces the name of the profession. For example, instead of appearing "Sylvari Dragonhunter", we could choose to hide the elite's name so that "Sylvari Guardian" would continue appearing.

What are your thoughts on this? Advantages and/or disadvantages that you see?

@steki.1478 said:For what purpose and why?

Right now I can only think of a personal/emotional purpose. I'm not sure I can explain it, but I'll try. Many players like to imagine a personal story/background for a character, personality traits, etc. The profession is part of the character's identity and so can be the name of the profession. Having more variety of options (weapons, skills) doesn't necessarily 'change' what the character is, and players could want the name of the profession to remain there.

Of course many people wouldn't see this as an issue and I'm sure they wouldn't use the option to hide the elite's name.

@TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

@steki.1478 said:For what purpose and why?

Right now I can only think of a personal/emotional purpose. I'm not sure I can explain it, but I'll try. Many players like to imagine a personal story/background for a character, personality traits, etc. The profession is part of the character's identity and so can be the name of the profession. Having more variety of options (weapons, skills) doesn't necessarily 'change' what the character is, and players could want the name of the profession to remain there.

Of course many people wouldn't see this as an issue and I'm sure they wouldn't use the option to hide the elite's name.

Sounds pretty pointless. Also elite spec is exactly that, new options, weapons, skills to play the class by changing it, so you're not playing just the core class you're playing the elite spec. If you want to roleplay as core class then you play only the core class, very simple.

Elite spec name doesnt show anywhere except char select and maybe group menu, so I dont really understand the issue. It's not like it's labeled right below your name all the time.

@"steki.1478" said:Sounds pretty pointless. Also elite spec is exactly that, new options, weapons, skills to play the class by changing it, so you're not playing just the core class you're playing the elite spec. If you want to roleplay as core class then you play only the core class, very simple.

Elite spec name doesnt show anywhere except char select and maybe group menu, so I dont really understand the issue. It's not like it's labeled right below your name all the time.

I personally understand where he’s coming from. I’m not really bothered by it, but I always liked "Norn Elementalist" better than "Norn Tempest", or "Norn Weaver" for example. It’s simply a matter of preference, and I have always imagined my character to be an Elementalist, no matter the specialization I use.

Archived