Game unplayable due to huge decrease of fps since last year

Ciri.7193

Hello,I stopped playing gw2 around a year ago for a few weeks, but when i came back, the game became unplayable for me, because my fps would be stuck around 5-17 fps no matter the map i was on. Changing the settings to the lowest possible and setting the amount of characters shown to the lowest as well didn't help at all. i checked the fps limitation but none of the options changed anything and my vsync is deactivated. My GPU is up to date and i don't have any viruses on my computer(i clean booted). Since then i checked the game several times to unlock the new story chapters, but the fps never changed and the game has been unplayable for a year now. Before all this happened i was easily able to run the game at 60-40 fps with some drops in wvw or on pof maps and player count was set to high and graphics highest possible.config: CPU i5 4690k 3,50 GHzGPU: r9 390 nitroRAM: 8GBrunning windows 8.1. . . .My location is germany, playing on the server FlussuferDownload: 1,2 Mb/sUpload: 4,3 Mb/sms: 90my internet has only been getting better over the last few years i've been playing gw2 and i never changed the povider or the location of my pc or router.Other games run with no effort even on high settings no matter if they are offline or online.(overwatch, wow, ffxiv, black desert online)I really miss this game and want to play it again so any help would be a blessing.Thanks in advance

Use a program like GPU-Z to confirm the bus speed of the GPU while the game is running. It won't affect a lot of other games much, but when it's running at a limited speed, it can cause large drops like that for GW2. This can be caused by the GPU not being seated properly, a defect, or a software problem (clean install the drivers).

To reset your hardware-related settings, delete the file %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat, and if it exists, Documents/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat. With GW2 running, confirm the dedicated GPU is actually being used and check the performance of the CPU to ensure it's not being throttled.

@Healix.5819 said:Use a program like GPU-Z to confirm the bus speed of the GPU while the game is running. It won't affect a lot of other games much, but when it's running at a limited speed, it can cause large drops like that for GW2. This can be caused by the GPU not being seated properly, a defect, or a software problem (clean install the drivers).

I'm betting this is the issue. New AMD drivers like to control GPU clock rates and voltage(WattMan) and dont always do a good job coming out of power save mode.

Archived