Burning Oil Rework

Sviel.7493

Now that ACs are next to useless as anti-siege weapons, maybe we can change Oil (which has always been next to useless) into something which covers the good parts of what ACs used to do.

Instead of being in a super vulnerable position where it's sort of ok against 2-3 people and absolutely useless against 5+, how about we move the Oil to the ground floor. It becomes an interactable object that gives players a bucket of burning oil. This bucket can then be tossed with the same mechanic as a catapult shot. It should have just enough range to hit catapults that are right next to the wall or rams. Since it will take much longer to apply each attack, it should be much more powerful than before--enough to force anyone off of an affected siege engine. Perhaps have it cost a small amount of supply to use so it respects the principle of finite defense.

I'm thinking two skills: One that fires up and over a wall and hits directly on the other side and another that spins and throws up to 600 units. While carrying the oil, players would be slowed to a walk and taking any damage would result in spilling the oil all over yourself.

I'd rather they keep it the same, but instead it does devastating damage to siege. Like 2 oil drops destroy rams. Just to keep its unintended purpose as a delaying nuisance that gives wxp, while at the same time can surprise attackers too lazy to destroy it before placing their rams.

I don't think a 10 second delay and a smidgeon of wxp is worth preserving--especially since there's no real need to delay ram-building since no one can use the oil with all the AoE being dropped on it.

Besides, that leaves the walls just as bad off as they are now--they're a significant advantage to the people that do not own them.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:Or leave the Oil Pots as they are now. But put a lever on the ground level (lateral to the gates) in order to allow a player to activate the Oil without being insta killed from the ground. The Oil can be destroyed as usual, the player using it is not a sure sacrifice anymore.

I like this idea to replace what we have now, but I was also looking to expand the functionality to fix some other problems. For example, making Oil less useless against zergs and giving some way to defend against point-blank attacks. What worries me is when something like zerging removes all viable player interaction during the sieging process outside of counter-zerging. That's how you get zerg-only gameplay and that hasn't been great for WvW in the long run.

Archived