Condi Engineer Feels Terrible Underwater

Draehl.2681

I'm running a P/P Flamethrower build (Juggernaut, Mass Momentum, etc.) and have to say it feels, really, really bad to do underwater content. I get that underwater combat should feel different than land combat and there are thematic/logical considerations, but an entire build is shut down losing access to the Flamethrower. Not having the Flamethrower makes Juggernaut not stack Stability/Might >> Mass Momentum doesn't grant might >> Applied Force doesn't trigger quickness/Compounding Chemicals doesn't trigger it's heal nearly as often due to less boon applications/Less Boons for Iron Blooded damage mitigation. Plus Thermal Vision isn't up nearly as often. That's 6 traits completely or partially invalidated.

It all hinges on having a Flamethrower out and feels 100% scummy to dip your toes in the water, not to mention the Harpoon Gun feeling pretty meh overall, too.

If Anet cares to remedy this type of situation, a few ideas (in order of preference/viability):

1) Juggernaut applies to another kit or two? At the very least Elixir Gun so we have a condi weapon to fall back on underwater to trigger Stability and the cascade of effects that stem from it.

2) Allow players to setup a unique trait loadout for underwater combat. If a build is completely busted then give us a back-up plan. This would definitely be the most technically difficult/time consuming option for Anet, however.

3) Just re-theme the Flamethrower underwater to some kind of cryo-burn idea. This is the quick and lazy way out and feels a little blunt, but would be acceptable if either of the above two weren't in the cards.

Anyway, sorry if this comes off as whiny, but this concern has been nagging at me the past couple of weeks since I switched to the Engineer. Thanks!

Not every condition engineer build gets shut down by underwater combat. Some of engineer's best kits work great both on land and underwater. I run the good old p/p viper core engineer build with grenade kit, flamethrower, bomb kit and mortar kit. For underwater combat, I use Elixir H instead of Healing Turret, the Elixir Gun instead of the Flamethrower and Supply Crate instead of Mortar Kit.

If you want to stack might and stability similar to what the Juggernaut trait does, then use Elixir B. Both the utility skill and toolbelt skill give you might while you only get stability from the toolbelt skill. Since you're playing condition Scrapper for the Mass Momentum and Applied Force traits, then using Elixir B should be enough to give you the right amount of might stacks in order to activate the Applied Force trait.

No, it's definitely much worse underwater. You lose access to your main sources of burning damage, and the underwater skills don't do nearly enough to make up for it.

The underwater weapon skills are power focused with a couple token conditions thrown in (eg. a single stack of burn on Timed Charge). Underwater kits like bomb kit and grenade kit will get you a bit of condi dps, but it won't even be close to what you could do with power. You still get Rocket Kick, though, so that helps a bit.

Archived