Improvement

FrigginPaco.4178

Just like in my GW1 days, I found that I gravitated towards the competitive modes later in my play time. I started back in the times just after HoT released and have played all but the last 2 seasons at high gold/low plat for most of my playtime. Barring inherent class limitations and balance, I can't rightly identify what I'm doing - or not doing - correctly in order to improve.

I know my biggest problem without question is my decision making surrounding rotations, for example.Right behind this I think it's probably a lack of understanding how to manipulate my most familiar classes to their fullest (power reaper/ power herald).Just below that it may be knowing when to disengage/overcommitting.

I'm the only one in my guild with the hours in PvP to be able to coach them in builds or in practice, but I don't have anyone else to help me improve, and frankly, it's a bit tricky in map chat for the PvP lobby... Lotta trolls, no surprise...

I've watched videos from many different streamers and youtubers, but I generally don't find I glean much from them. Maybe I just need to learn a more heavy-kitted class? Necro and rev seem limited by their unique set of problems generally speaking. The former being an immobile piñata whereas the latter is... I guess like a thief without stealth. Super squishy, but able to do a considerable amount of damage in a short time, provided I'm not fighting a boon assembly line... which I am. All the time.

I dunno what I need to do in the meantime between balance patches. Just looking for some guidance.

Basically, how should I practice?

@FrigginPaco.4178 said:Basically, how should I practice?

Join duel rooms and fight mock battles. Spectate people fighting in duel rooms that run similar builds to yours and take note of any casting patterns that may streamline your rotation.

Experiment, experiment, experiment. You can use meta builds as a blueprint, but don't be afraid to break your build and run weird things if you think they will work.

sit in the spvp public arena. Eventually someone with an instant-gib build will attack you to feed their ego, and you can use them to practice vs opponents that get the drop on you in game.

Play unranked. befriend and see if you can set up mock battles in duel rooms with anyone you go against that is reasonably level headed.

Join a PVP guild. Some of them even run their own duel rooms.

Archived