Spear

SoulGuardian.6203

Than you have to play Dragon Hunter and use Spear of Justice.Given all the recent "Spear" skin being staves, I highly doubt Anet will ever introduce Javelins or melee land spears as their own weapon category.

That aside, I feel Paragons are/were closer to warriors than to GW2's paladins.Warriors and Paragons were the only classes to make use of the Adrenaline system for skills, which became the GW2 Warrior class mechanic.Both share the yellow/golden colour theme, while Guardian is mostly blue in aesthetic.Both Warrior and paragons are mostly martial classes, while Guardian is more magical than martial.

So, if they'd happen to put "spears" into the game, I think it'd be Warriors having a ranged staff e-spec, possibly with songs or arias as utilities.

Why is it that everytime someone makes a suggestion, someone comes along and says, there's already this or already that.If there was, prople would not suggest, as it is not the same.Also, if you know the original paragon; then you know that the closest thing to it is the guardian.But for the sake of arguing, let's say why not both.Heck, ehy not give a spear to revenant too?Might aswel that were at it.

I'd like to have spears, as long they don't have ground targetting.But I still doubt we'd ever get it.

Revenants with Spears would be weird though.I can only imagine Revenants using Spears by poking enemy butts through portals.Also, Revenants don't have a fitting offhand weapon to accompany spears, while Warriors and Guardians would have their shields.I used to be a Paragon main and I don't feel Guardian being close to it.Elementalist with Spear/Focus would be nice, too, but I'd rather see them getting long bow or rifle (albeit I guess Anet will just shove GS or Hammer into their next espec; can't have the squshiest class be good at range).

In my opinion, the closest thing to Guardian in GW1 is a Monk/Warrior specializing in Swordsmanship and protective prayers.Monks also had the 'Spear of Light' spell, which possibly served as the base for Dragon Hunters' Spear of Justice (the only Guardian skill reminding me of Paragons).

Actually Anet themselves indicated that the Paragon strongly influenced the Guardian along with the Monk it's right in the Wiki below is the Quote:Background“With the turmoil in Elona and the spread of the Order of Whispers into other lands, more Paragon teaching showed elsewhere in Tyria. These teachings melded with other traditions, and over time, the guardians and their abilities can be found throughout the world and among all the races. They are not tied to a particular race, philosophy, or group of gods but rather to a larger concept of proactive defense, of taking the fight to a foe and protecting those you fight alongside while appealing equally to humanity's defensive nature and the charr's desire to rule the battlefield.[2]

— Jeff Grubb

“It's a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training, wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha. A real grab bag of "you can't hurt me". They're called guardians, and simply put, they mean trouble.

— Macha

@"RUNICBLACK.7630" said:Actually Anet themselves indicated that the Paragon strongly influenced the Guardian along with the Monk it's right in the Wiki below is the Quote:Background“With the turmoil in Elona and the spread of the Order of Whispers into other lands, more Paragon teaching showed elsewhere in Tyria. These teachings melded with other traditions, and over time, the guardians and their abilities can be found throughout the world and among all the races. They are not tied to a particular race, philosophy, or group of gods but rather to a larger concept of proactive defense, of taking the fight to a foe and protecting those you fight alongside while appealing equally to humanity's defensive nature and the charr's desire to rule the battlefield.[2]

— Jeff Grubb

Anet's visions don't necessarily reflect what is in the game.For example, centaurs weren't supposed to "pick flowers" while waiting to be slain.Yet, they "pick flowers" all over Kryta.

Or the second half of the Elementalist description on the wiki: "What they lack in physical toughness, they make up in versatility and the ability to inflict massive damage in a single attack."Elementalists don't have a trade-off for being squishy, especially not in the damage department.

It's a pile of Elonian protection magic,— MachaProtection magic is a monk thing, whether it's Canthan, Tyrian, Elonian or from the moon.

I'm sorry for the delay there, you are aware that your argument(after all there is only so much you want invest into "NPC" AI scripting) in no way validates or supports your previous opinion nor in anyway does make your earlier opinion a fact. I'm not actually entirely disagreeing with your earlier viewpoint at all I was just doing is pointing out the designers original concept and origins of the Guardian class as stated by them.

P.S. : Funny story about NPC AI scripting in Elder Scrolls they decided to try what was very advanced tech at the time so as to give a more lifelike game world feel,well in the earlier stages of it they were testing and some of the NPC's started robbing other NPC's etc and some just wandered off went fishing etc.. so to speak. After that they had to put some what more restrictive parameters on them.