Buying gems in bulk. (and an unrelated quality of life change)

@Zephire.8049 said:You also don't need to buy gems during world transfer. You do that before or after, not during, especially as there's nothing time-sensitive that can't wait a few minutes unless you're trying to nab a sale item seconds before the sale ends and instead of taking care of that before transferring worlds, you decided to transfer first. Even if that's just an example you threw out there, there is no time in GW2 I can think of where you would need to buy gems right that moment instead of waiting a few minutes.

You are overlooking the likelihood that people don't pay attention to or don't already know how things work. It seems at least possible that the gem purchase pop-up during world transfer was meant as a convenience for those players who did not know about the fee, or perhaps the amount of gems needed, so they did not have to open up another interface to get gems to continue the transfer.

@Linken.6345 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:IMO actual paying customers should get more for little, gold exchange should always be higher in price.you spend money, you get actual gems worth the money, you spend gold, you better farm for it.

tl;dr this might already be the case; there's no way for us to know

Currently, the way the exchange works is that if you convert 1000 Gems to Gold, and convert that gold back instantly to gems, you'll end up with 670-725 gems. Gnashblade takes his cut here, as well as in the TP.

There's no way to measure what the fees are, because the game (and the API) only tell us the net amounts, not the gross. So it's entirely possible that the fees are less for converting gems→gold, and worse for converting gold→gems; we just won't ever know. And ANet has never been willing to discuss it.

it takes 5 gems for 1 gold, even with the cut this means that gems are worth less than gold.IMO there should be two gem types, silver and gold.gold gems can only be bought with money and have a low gemstore price, the exchange is still the same.silver gems can be bought with gold but you need to pay a higher price in the gemstore, with this real paying customers actually get rewarded for buying gems while exchange gems are worth less so not paying customers have to farm to get what they want.

and yes, i know it makes the exchange less rewarding but see it this way, no matter the gem pool only real paying customers keep Anet alive, the exchange is just a service they gave so it's not a must.

I think its fine since we would get more gems for exchanging gold if people bought more with cash.So then the tricky question is how much less to combat the gold gems turning into silver gems?

i think about a 20% difference would suffice.