Halp with pc specs

LocTuc.5179

Firstly, i don't want to hear that gw2 is a badly optimised game... I KNOW THAT...Secondly, just answer my questions plss thx <3.Buying a new rig. Choose which one you would pick and explain why.

Monitor: Acer predator - 1440p 144hz or 4k 60hz (both screens ips and g sync)GPU: GTX 1070 or 1080? To be able to produce a good enough experience for either monitor.CPU: i5 8600k vs older gen i5 (7700k or 6700k) - Should i bother with newer gen cpu?

Now the issue here is that i've heard people consistently say that gw2 will rarely get about 60fps in high populated areas... Now wouldn't it make sense to buy a 4k 60hz monitor because of this?

Again, because of the repeated issue of gw2 not being optimised, therefore more strain is placed on the cpu, would it make sense to buy a 1080 over a 1070 for 1440p? (probably not a 1070 for 4k gaming though) but let me know!

Gw2 can surely go far beyond 60fps on fast systems, but once there is a lot of stuff into view, the framerate will drop considerably. The best investment for GW2 performance is a fast CPU. And with fast I mean: the highest single-core performance you can afford. But you will still get major framerate drops in world boss battles. You'll probably need a 10+GHz i5/i7 to get these running smooth and these just don't exist yet.

I would personally stick with a 60hz IPS monitor, unless the price increase for a 144hz is little. Please consider getting a 3440x1440 34" UltraWide. You never want to go back after you played GW2 on this beast.

Both graphics cards should run the game fine. Again, the limiting factor is most often the CPU. Of course, the 1080 is a bit more future-proof and allows you to run more extreme quality options like FSAA and supersampling. A 1080 will also help to reach that 144hz in quiet areas of the game more easily than a 1070. But both cards are very powerful GPU's.

new gen CPU means stronger cores means better frames, 4k vs. 1440 .. makes more sense to do 1440, 4k is still pretty demanding even on newer systems. I feel 2560x1440 or 3440x1440 is that sweet spot for more screen view without taking a major hit to performance.. since GW2 is more CPU bound than GPU.. and you are only interested in running gw2 then the newer CPU and the cheaper GPU would be the way to go.

Throw as much CPU power at the game as you can afford. Intel's latest 8000 series CPUs do show a notable performance increase above the 7000 and 6000 series. However -- for GW2 -- the i7 will give very little benefit above an i5. My recommendation: buy a Core i5 8600k, slap on a massive cooler, and overclock the bejezus out of it.

Your ideal GPU is much more dependent on your target resolution. If you want to go for 1440, a GTX 1070 should do fine (or wait a couple weeks and get the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti when it releases). If you want to go for 4k, you'll probably need a GTX 1080 if you also want to crank up all the eye-candy too.

go with 144hz for your monitor. for the very reason that you'd want your monitor to have higher refresh rate. cuz your fps would always be higher than 60fps on a good comp.and if your screen is only supported 60hz, stuttering and other craps would appear. although g-sync would stop that. but still, 144hz vs 60hz, it's day and night.
you could run virtual super resolution to crank your resolution to 4k without any problem via your graphic card settings. so you could pay less for more.

for gpu, it depends on what you want.do you play other heavy graphic games? and that budget is not a big deal to you?if both yes, then head for gtx 1080. if not, gtx 1070 is more than enough. my graphic card was ages ago, radeon r9 360. and i run everything on ultra/high. lol.always > 70fps. most are over 110fps. and about 50-60 ish fps in high populated zones.i even override the application settings and run everything on high on my graphic card settings. so you'll be fine in this regard.

if you have a bigger budget, aim for i7 and not i5. even with the old gen, i7 6700k, it would perform better than i5 7700k.they're both 4 cores, but i7 have more capacity, more cache, leading to a faster performance. 3MB cache difference is like from here to Mars difference. lol.if you have more to spend, aim for the newer gen i7. i currently have i7 6700k. even my graphic is crap, everything i run on high and i don't have much of a dip in fps.also it'll be nice to have an SSD. cut down loading time in half or more. but if you think your loading time is fine, then it's going to be ok.mine on an average is 6s. and i don't have any SSD. because this whole rig is a corporate thing, i don't have a choice. but it's free so i'd take it any day.some people load longer so SSD helps a ton. you could see map loading timer, by right clicking your gw2 .exe file > properties > target, add this line behind your file location link "-maploadinfo".

it would rarely get 60fps in high populated area if you turn your character model limit to medium-high. aka 200 players on that map, your screen would render and load 200 models simultaneously. so why would anyone do that? but it's something not set on low by default, so people have inconsistent fps cuz of this.
there are a couple of settings need to be set low, character model limit is one. while the rest on ultra/high, even shadow.shadow in this game doesn't eat a lot of resources, however.
gtx 970 already has NVIDIA Maxwell architecture which is enough for 4k gaming. lol. anything higher than that is extra.i'd rather spend more on cpu and less on gpu if i were you.

Archived