Still can not play EOD

I am very upset. I can't download the expansion pack. It happened when the launcher was "updated" for stability issues. Well, before that patch, the game was updating perfectly fine. Now, it will not download. Been trying for since Monday. I have tried all the suggestions. Cleared app data, went into command prompt and changed stuff there. I am almost to the point of uninstalling and redownloading the whole game, but that will take even more time, as I am on DSL and my connection speed is not very fast. As I said, was downloading perfectly fine before the launcher update to fix stability issues. Any suggestions.

• Sad 1

I'm assuming you're getting stuck downloading. If not, you need to explain what's happening. Are you sure you modified the hosts file correctly? Try again. If anything fails, say so:

Open a command prompt as an administrator by searching the start menu for cmd - right click it and select run as administrator. A command window will open with the title "Administrator: Command Prompt" to confirm it's running as an admin. Copy the following line and right click the window to paste it, then press enter to run it:

echo.34.237.107.160 assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Running the command should give no response. If you didn't have permission for example, it'd say access is denied.

Next, delete Local.dat. Note this will reset your remembered login, sound and graphics settings. Enter the command to delete Local.dat:

del "%appdata%\Guild Wars 2\Local.dat"

Next, confirm the hosts file was properly set by entering the command:

ping assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com

The ping will time out - that's not important. The first line will show the IP. Confirm it's 34.237.107.160:

Pinging assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com [34.237.107.160]...

If the IP isn't that, ensure your security software isn't resetting changes to the hosts file.

Next is launching GW2 with command line options. Unfortunately I can't give you a simple command for that, so substitute your own path for Gw2-64.exe:

"C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -diag

This will cause GW2 to start a test. You can cancel it. This was only to confirm the use of command line options.

Now launch GW2 with the options:

"C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -log -patchconnections 1

Since Local.dat was deleted, it will force a small patch. If GW2 gets stuck, let it sit for 10 minutes, then exit. Back in the command prompt, enter the following command to view the log:

notepad %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log

Post it and I'll tell you what it means.

If this doesn't work, chances are your anti-virus, firewall or other software that manipulates your web traffic is the cause, or worst case, your ISP is, which will require a VPN.

When you're done, reset the hosts edit, otherwise it'll eventually cause the launcher to fail to connect:

echo.>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Edited by Healix.5819

Nope. Still nothing. And the notepad ccomes up empty, so I can not post anything. it is not my ISP nor my antivirus. it is the game launcher, as it was working before the first patch perfectly well. Thanks anyway. I am beginning to think that I just can't play the expansion.

1 hour ago, AshisBrin.6047 said:

And the notepad ccomes up empty, so I can not post anything.

You have to close GW2 first. The log file is cleared as soon as you launch with -log and and is saved when GW2 exits. If however it was empty because the file wasn't found and notepad asked to create a new file, then GW2 wasn't launched with the -log option.

As a more visual alternative, you could use Gw2Launcher (64-bit) and its built-in proxy server to see what GW2 is actually downloading.

I decided to uninstall the game and now in process of redownloading. So far, it is working. Maybe something got messed up on my end at some point with the file. I don't know. And to answer your question Healix, yes, I had closed to GW2 launcher. It was not showing up. Also, when I tried to repair the game, it would start and then freeze. I think something might have gotten screwed up with my game files. Thanks for you solution though.

Glad it's working for you!

I got a ticket response and am going through steps with tech support.  So far, I'm having no luck.  I can't help thinking this was released too soon.  This is the worst game launch experience I've had since URU, but I'm sure it'll get worked out.  Healix: I've gone through those steps also and appreciate the assistance, but frankly no game should require so much noodling just to install it.

• Like 2

It has to be from their side. I noticed on exitlag it doesn't show any active connections anymore when I open up Guild Wars 2. I didn't change any of my settings. I am currently reinstalling the whole game to see what happens. Download is slower than what I usually get though.

Edited by Briearios.8407

Well, tech support let me down and passed the buck suggesting that my Windows user might be corrupt (that's not the problem).  The install works on my old laptop but I can't fully play the game on that.  Go figure.  I guess I 'm done with GW2 util a major update.  I've loved the game so far, but this is quite the let-down.  It's only been a few days, so here's hoping.  I'm not ready to request a refund.

30 minutes ago, Briearios.8407 said:

I noticed on exitlag it doesn't show any active connections anymore when I open up Guild Wars 2.

Your firewall, anti-virus and any other software monitoring your traffic happens before your VPN. If you were to block GW2 in your firewall for example, that's what would happen - GW2's connection would stop at the firewall and never make it to the VPN.

15 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

Your firewall, anti-virus and any other software monitoring your traffic happens before your VPN. If you were to block GW2 in your firewall for example, that's what would happen - GW2's connection would stop at the firewall and never make it to the VPN.

All my other games are working through exitlag still though. Guild Wars 2 is the only one that seemily just stopped.