Audio Confused - anybody else notice this?

Sometimes I use speakers and sometimes I use a USB headset. Windows 10 of course. When I use the headset I am using Discord - no surprise.

The problem is that no matter how I set the audio to be used, the GW2 client keeps  changing which audio device it's using. Even after I set it, it bounced to something else randomly apparently.. And it isn't even consistent when a cinematic plays. Or story cutscene or whatever we call it. So for example, this morning I'm playing EoD and in the open world I finally coerce the game to use the headset. But when the Cutscene plays - not instance [ although that too ] just an ingame voice over when I talk to a story dude - Rama in Shing Jea - his voice comes out of the speakers while I hear the world in my headset.

What I would like is what other games do. Use the DEFAULT OS AUDIO for ALL THE AUDIO IN THE GAME and whenever I change the Default OS Audio device the game notices and switches to that right away. No FREAKING ANNOYING OPTIONS DIALOG - do I seem upset? Well how about you play this game and continually find that you can't hear what's going on.? Darned annoying.

I know this above wish is possible because other games do it. And I don't have to get annoyed with them. They just work.

"Convince me I'm wrong" as they say.

w

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am experiencing the same issue.  Now I am sharing audio with Discord which is a must for coordination within the World Vs World portion of the game.   I find that the game itself swaps back and forth between my bluetooth Plantronics headset  (PLT V8200) and the systems "Default" audio portion.  

I believe this is an in-game issue as when I am not running Guilds Wars 2 I am able to have a normal conversation within Discord without my sound options changing back and forth.   With Guild Wars 2 running I notice a slight freeze (half a second) which is a clue the audio has swapped. At that point I need to switch my Discord to the opposite option in order to restore audio and microphone.

I have already completely removed Guild Wars 2, Deleted the game folder including the one in my %appsdata% folder.  Did a complete new install and changed the install directory to C:\Guild Wars 2  to assure it was not using any of the older installation files, and I still have the issue.  Again I do not notice this problem when I am  not running Guild Wars 2.  Other apps do not seem to have the same issue.

I can confirm what the above original poster noted is indeed a problem to some.

• Confused 2