Make fractals fun again?

rune.9572

2 minutes ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

Thats the hyper casual point of view. Beating own dps records is fun for me. Whats the point of playing bad builds or tank builds? There is a difference between fun and annoying. social awkwardness is antifun. Protection spam and only protection spam is antifun. Resolution doesnt exist.

Being able to reflect we bleed fire dmg would be fun but it doesnt work. Some instabilities buffing certain skills or weapons would be very fun but instabilities dont work like this.

Instabilities just nerf and punish power and dont really alter the gameplay in a fun way. having boonspam on a 20sec hidden timer which requires boonsteal alters gameplay but isnt fun at all.

After beating your own dps records for a thousand time, I'm sure even you would be tired of beating it.

People want challenge for fun but refuse to stray from the tried paths -> Let's go meta!

People want content for fun but their is a limit to how much content can be developped at the same time. I doubt GW2 devs have much time to loiter around.

People want hard encounters for fun but look for any opportunity to bypass mechanics.

People find "fun" in the reward and would rather not have to work to hard to get it.

... etc.

People don't have the same notion of what's "fun" yet form group to clear content and need to accomodate with other members of the group. This lead to, either someone's "fun" being forced onto other (and it's not necessarily "fun" for these other to have something forced on them) or people ignoring "fun" and clearing content like bots as fast as possible to get the reward.

If your fun is just breaking the limit of your "numbers" then you'll face a wall sooner or later and you'll grow tired of doing the content. No amount of change to fractals will be able to bring back the fun to them, only profession's tweaks will affect you (and more often than not, you'll complain about those tweaks because they "force" you out of your confort zone that the tried meta build offer to you or simply because after the tweaks your "numbers" are bad).

That said, you could go with unorthodox comp, try to reach the limit of the dps of these comp in specific encounter then go for another unorthodox comp... etc. This could increase the potential lifetime of your "fun" a lot more than the devs spending time in tweaking encounters, add instabilities or "balance" professions.

Instabilities are part of the "fun" for some peoples as they do like the "challenge" and these instabilities do add a bit of uncertainty in runs that end up being boring without any "unstable element" when everything has been done for to long, to often already.

• Confused 2

On 4/25/2022 at 12:20 PM, rune.9572 said:

I quit fractals 3 years ago when you added random instabilities on top of butchering a bunch of "fast" fractals to disincentivize poeple from playing them for high gph. (I guess it worked. heh)

Since that time fractals changed very little, with new fractals being overly long slogs designed to slow you down so you don't dare to make more than 10g off your daily. I recently had a "pleasure" of running molten boss for LWS1 achievements (probably my first fractal in a year or so) and it instantly reminded me of how you massacred my boy.

Any plans on making fractals fun again, or is it dead content now?

Its more like "make fractals again" at this point.. 609 days since they released a new fractal (not even gonna mention raids lul)

• Like 1