Fix the Mix!

To be honest, this may be more complicated than just changing the way GW2 mixes audio, but the title was too good to resist!

I play with a quality pair of headphones and a 7.1 capable external soundcard, the Sennheiser GSX-1000.

Initially, I would have thought this problem was maybe to do with my system, but I've since moved from Windows to Linux, and the problem has followed me.

It also doesn't happen in any other game I play, sooooo...

To describe it?

I think there's a key problem with how GW2 "renders" audio. All sources appear to be static at the point of origin, which is very distracting when listening in surround and moving around in combat.

This is best illustrated when using a skill like Warrior's Throw Axe when moving; effectively, if you're moving forward when throwing the axe, when it hits the enemy, the impact will be rendered behind you, as it's locked to the point at which you start activating the skill.

It's also obvious in conversations, where it sounds like you or the NPC you are talking to, leave your/their voice behind if you're moving during the conversation.

Unfortunately, I think this has been present since release, so I'm not hopeful it'll be fixed, but I thought I'd highlight it nonetheless.

Anyone else noticed this?

Or are you noticing it now I've highlighted it? 😄

If so, sorry! It'll bug you from now until they fix it!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1