[Commander] Mesmer Portal Build Help

Rakotia.5812

Hey guys!
So, I have decided to get my mesmer (because of portals) as my "main" character to command all kind of stuff in the open world: metas, jumping puzzles, HP train points, achievement hunting, etc.
Yeah I know, for open world PvE "everything works".
BUT, what I want to know from experienced commanders is: how should I build up my mesmer to be an efficient commander? With that question I mean: is there any trait or gear stat that is better, any spec that is gonna have more utility for people, etc. I'm not talking about instanced content like raid, strikes or fractals (for that I bring other characters) but mainly from all the things that we can do in the open wold. I'm just asking how can I make my mesmer like an utility god to help people xD
All tips are welcome, maybe we can build a build together ^^
Thanks (and remember Extra Life is up!)

I’d probably start with a Chronomancer Alac Support build, even though they aren’t the most impressive just now, they have the toolkit you probably want.

Alac makes your portal faster, and since you can stack Alac with Wells out of combat, it seems better than Mirage for this. 

Alac and Heals will help your smaller groups be more successful as your average OW build is likely not efficiently built, likely not a support build, likely doesn’t have strong defenses or self heals, likely doesn’t even do optimal DPS.  By keeping your squads with heals and Alac you go a long way to improving your squads success rate.  

You can then add utility skills and traits as another layer of support.  Things like Illusion of Life, Veil and Feedback could be useful.  You also have access to Mimic and Continuum Split to double up on the skills you need when you really need them. 

I’d also consider making two or three builds. One focused on Portals for JP, one focused for leading Events/Meta as a full Support and another for leading Events/Meta as DPS. Unless you are okay with swapping around traits and skills, having quick access to several builds will make leading as a Comm easier. 

• Like 1