Why are mech traits so much better than core?

coro.3176

Two examples:

• Channeling Conduits (AKA Perma-alacrity) -  With a few easy combos, some not requiring any stat investment, Mechanist can have permanent passive alacrity in combat. This is insane. That is 25% cooldown reduction on everything. In other words, it's the cooldown half of GadgeteerPower Wrench, Mechanized Deployment, HGH, and Jade Dynamo combined and more, since it affects skills that don't even have a CDR trait like weapon skills. Plus it stacks with the aforementioned traits, and all it costs is a single master trait. By my rough arithmetic, it's 4-5 grandmaster traits worth of value. That single mechanist trait is worth more than the entire Tools traitline.
  • Rocket Punch - an adept minor trait that is almost twice as good as as the GM major trait Incendiary Powder (using WvW balance values, since that's what I play most). Yes, for basically half the ICD you get a free attack with a longer burn and strike damage too. *And* it's AoE. *And* it's an explosion. .. on a minor trait. What the hell? Meanwhile IP gives you a shorter burn, and a barely noticeable duration buff that doesn't even matter in that game mode.
  •  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1. I've played this game long enough to remember when elite traitlines were supposed to be balanced with core traitlines.. but even granting that they're supposed to be more powerful...
  2. ... can you think of any elite spec talents that are so good as to be worth ~5+ other traits? That one is a huge outlier.

• Thanks 1

The funny thing is that the trait system of mechanist makes me feel like we almost didn't get any new traits at all.

Other classes have wildly defining traits which allow the player to do crazy stuff with their character. Best example is Fervent Force from Untamed. It is insane what you can pull off with that trait and how defining it is for playstyle and build.

The mech might be powerful right now, but kitten, it doesn't give you any feel of depth. All traits are just about "now your mech has that skill, or this skill, or you share these stats with your mech". But the only really beneficial effect for ourselves is that we can give alacrity with barrier.

I feel like I am already burned out from playing mechanist, because there are just no fun combinations to play with. And the little synergy the trait system had with core traits (mech being able to inherit explosives traits) got removed.

It might be powerful, but it feels like the traits have very little impact on how you play. But maybe that is just me.