"Due to inactivity" messages a lot lately; what's the deal?

abc.4918

I keep getting these messages the past week or so and I really wasn't getting them at all before -- at least that I had noticed.

But now, I get them while I'm actively participating, lol. Or, even better, I've gotten the message minutes after the event was long finished and I was already in the middle of another event.

Am I losing loot/xp/whatever when this happens?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Doing it today as well, just got "Due to inactivity, you are no longer participating in Slay the veteran Mordrem vinetooth." which I'd already killed and got reward chest from minutes before, and had already completed a different event after.

I feel like it's something I'm doing wrong but I just don't know what. Could it be a network error of some sort? Everything else in game seems fine, ping is almost always <100. Maybe game file corruption? /shrug

• Haha 1

No it isn't anything you are doing wrong, its just the way Anet coded it and has been there since HoT was released. In Core Tyria zones you will not get these messages.

The idea behind it is a good one. It prevents players from tagging events and running off hoping that someone will finish it them for them and as a result they get the reward for very little participation. Having the participation run out after a certain amount of time prevents this.

The problem is the "participation" timer keeps counting down after the event is successfully completed, resulting in the messages you see on your screen.

Quite why Anet didn't code it so that as soon as the event completes the timer is removed I don't know. If you've successfully finished the event you will get your reward and exp irrespective of this message.

Edited by Andy.5981
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I'll try to ignore them then, haha. I agree on the idea behind it though -- one arrow as you run by is not exactly participation, heh. Maybe I can find a chat checkbox that'll just mute those; otherwise I'll just have to suppress my worrying tendencies.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1