High gold 3 to silver 2

Last season in Conquest I was climbing gold 3, nearing plat. This season during my initial 10 placement rounds I got paired with some really bad players, and up against some really good combo teams like reaper and willbender which had tons of aoe. I think I only won 4 rounds in total. My question is, I thought the ranking system takes in to consideration your previous rank? I don't see how I can drop that much, its a little too significant of a drop. The matchmaking was horrendous tbh.

Not that I care about rank, and this season will be over soon. I was hoping to get to plat eventually just to say I did it. At this point I'm just trying to get my ascended mark and get out.

• Like 1

Every start of the new season starts with a soft reset of your rank.

(previousSeasonRating + 1200) * 0.5

The matchmaker is terrible but what you're experiencing is the volatility of the glicko2 rating system which is perfectly fine and expected.

• Thanks 1

It's because the volatility of those first matches

The first 3 matches have very high volatility, i think you can check how much you get/lose using gw2 efficiency. I remember a season I lost 127 in the first match, thats g2 to silver 3 in 1 match.

So try to do whatever you can to win those first 3 matches, duo q, q dodge, all this stuff.  In my experience the first 3 matches the rating volatility will be 80+ the last 3 matche something around 35-45

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

I won almost all of mine once, got p2 rating from the start, but since i ended gold3/2 i forget, i lost every game until i was gold 2 or 3 again, like 18 in a  row, the system is crap.

Ive worked up to p2 from gold, yet, the system is just not worth caring about. PVP has always just been Eagle vs. Wurm, terrible balance that pretty much, the devs really pay no attention to. Heck, there are videos of pvp gold sellers, MAT win selling and more. The devs back then are involved and talked about in this discord channel. They can make more money selling dev made hacks then they can make developing the game. Its sad, it has wrecked pvp. PVP is close to dead now, great game with lots of scams involved that goes right to the top.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2