Have you seen how rife botting is?

It is well known that Arena Net do absolutely bugger all when it comes to botters. Desperate for bolstered player numbers and in-game economic influence, they'll spare those cheating and openly breaking the ToS because it keeps those players in the game. I presume that to be the case - it's not a conspiracy.

I know this place, a forum dedicated to game discussion is usually rife with favouritism and over-defensiveness and people don't like to any kind of whining, justified or not, but it has to be pointed out just how bad the situation is in this game has gotten and Arena Net has not implemented any system to prevent people from doing this. Everywhere I am going now I'm seeing idlers, botters, multiboxers, etc, just sitting there farming all the time. Pools of people, untouchable and immovable and connected. I'm more at risk than they are it seems.

I just went to Modri Caverns - a known hot-spot - because I thought "I wonder if *X* is still there". I went there and asked a few questions to a bunch of who I thought were idle farmers - no sign of that particular person I expected to bump into. After a while I decided to report a few. Whose name came up in the report menu? THE SAME kitten GUY I was talking about, who has the same multibox account name for every account! The same dude! This guy has been reported SOOOOO many times it is unbelievable and several years later he is still there! Still! What the hell is going on!? "Oh he bought another copy of the game so he's allowed to stay" - is that what this is? I'm not theorising, I'm asking.

After a short while I decided to fly off and oh my word was I in for a shock. Almost every platform in Modri Caverns was littered with small, and large groups of, probably, botters (I say probably because they're unresponsive and casting multiple skills and placing turrets - that's not auto-cast and it's against the ToS), some also get captured by trusty turtle.

Apparently we're all allowed to freely break the rules? What's the point of them otherwise? "But it's not your concern" - "How does it affect you" - "Ignore them". No.

I've had enough of putting money into the game and getting sheer laziness in return regarding many aspects. Lack of bug fixes, lack of UI configuration, lack of accessibility features, lack of proper QoL, lack of much else outside of expansions and sparse (now less significant) living world adaptions (although credit where it is due for IBS). It took us almost a decade to get a different mouse cursor outside of third party tools (which I refuse to use), no QoL UI implementations for mount-selection or damage output, an absurd amount of time to move to a form of DX11, with it's own set of unfixed bugs (despite reports). All of that PLUS you don't get any clamping down on rule breakers.

This forum, reddit, Facebook, can't surely all be yes-men and tune-whistlers for Arena Net? Does nobody care if it doesn't affect them directly? Despite the fact it is wrong, against the rules, diminishes commitment to events and takes up server space, (though don't use these as defensive points to shoot me down, because it's irrelevant since none of this is supposed to be allowed anyway).

Either lift all rules and openly state that idle farming/botting is allowed and greenlight all third party tools instead of sitting on the fence out of fear of alienating people using them or encouraging en-masse those who don't, or ban it outright. Simple. Things being a grey area is not a justification for twiddling your thumbs and shrugging your shoulders on important decisions.

Honestly, if it were even possible for me to net half of the money back that I'd invested in Guild Wars 2 since I started playing in 2012, I'd quit the game, but at this point I'm too far into it.

You should be implementing a system that disables auto-cast, and/or disconnects the user from the server if they stay in the same spot for more than 10 minutes. Don't get me started on old Tyrian maps - you should see those things.

Edited by Holgarf.6581
Read the post instead of putting trolling confused reactions. I'm not following this thread so I won't see responses.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Holgarf.6581 said:

I know this place, a forum dedicated to game discussion is usually rife with favouritism and over-defensiveness and people don't like to any kind of whining, justified or not,

I mean I agree with this statement, but Idle farming and full blown botting are two different things. I can be sitting in a spot and just press GS 4 over and over, or set it to auto cast and be at my machine watching my character do that for an hour. That's still me playing the game with the only form of automation being auto attack which is a built in feature.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

1. Every successful game will have bots, because gold selling creates RL profits for people especially in developing nations. You can have an arms race with them, and continue to upgrade your security and they will upgrade their scripts, or you can constrain it/legalize it. 

2. AFK farming is allowed so long as it is not script based. When I am on my computer, my characters will be AFK farming. Sometimes I respond to people, but most times my windows are sized and shaped only for me to notice my turrets and nothing else. 

Edit:3. Why wouldn't I get extra copies of the game to do this? It's a much better deal than just trading gems for gold. 

We can try to discuss things before this thread gets locked. 😛

Edited by solzuul.6294
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3