Lifeless Oni (as in no healthbar and hit detection) [Merged]

Oni spawned in Seitung Province map, map event icon is normal (it says defeat the oni ambush), monster model is normal, attack is normal, it hits hard.

But there is only one issue: I can't hit back. UI doesn't show up the event and the health bar of the monster, can't tell how much has the health dropped.

I know it's the first day after the patch, but it's confusing.

@ArenaNet is this your way to "fight" a repeatable HP or is it a bug (one of million lately)? The game became ridiculous. 

I was fighting myself for the last several months, coping and finding all kinds of excuses for you people, but I can't anymore. If me, who LOVES this game and defends it on all stupid forums are done, I can' t imagine how many players you lost with this "update".

@Bloodvil.2397 sorry I did this on your thread, I just came from Seitung and was trying to find some info on the stupid UNATTACKABLE oni boss, and I just lost it....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had this very same problem with an oni ambush in New Kaineng's Misa Village. It seems the oni "forgot" to despawn after its timer ran out, and now it's happily attacking players and spawning time bombs which is not exactly helpful if you are trying to do events in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

As Cedo said, it does sound like the new random champion Oni event that was added with 'What Lies Within' story update. According to the map one of the spawn locations is very close the hero point. I'd suggest changing maps if you can or doing the hero point later when the Oni is not there. The event has 5 min timer so it should despawn after the time runs out.

I was wrong in my earlier post. This is a different event called "Defeat the Oni ambush" when the other one is called "Defeat the Oni". The wiki does not list the first event at all but I have done the 2nd event in New Kaineng at least once. Managed to kill the oni with only two players but it was a tough fight. 

I encountered the 1st event at Temple of the Dredge in Echowalds. The oni is indeed un-targetable, has two swirling AoE effect circling around it and places bombs on players. It hits with melee quite hard and changes aggro often, so seems to be the same champion oni as in the other event.

Edit: the oni becoming un-targetable could be somehow caused by the triggering player running past it without engaging. When I triggered the event in Kaineng I stopped to fight.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
added thought

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to Lifeless Oni (as in no healthbar and hit detection) [Merged]

ok so I've now run into this very thing 3 times. And I can say that it always happens when the event fails. The instant the event fails the Champion Oni will turn around, run away and vanish only to have the event spawn back up (can be the same spawn area or a different spawn location on the same map). At that moment it no longer be able to be targeted. I hope this helps in solving this issue.