If anyone has FPS drops around 5 fps but have a fast machine..(Resolved)

I figured out an issue i have been having with my PC running at only 5 - 7 FPS, i have had help from arenanet and also myself investigating the

issue, i wanted to share this to help others if they are going through the same problem.

I was able to fix the problem. Allow me to share it so you can use this because this is very crucial for people who have the same problem.

Windows 10 or 11 there is a thing called Hardware-accelerated GPU and Variable refresh rate.

Go to System>Display>Graphics>Change default graphics settings> then Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling. This reduces latency
and improve performance. This actually bumps up the FPS.

In that same window, below theres Variable refresh rate. It gets a higher frame rate and reduce screen tearing in games that dont support variable
refresh rate by default.

If you want optional, go to msconfig, services, hide all microsoft services and uncheck apps that dont need startup. I disabled a few things and it was ok.

All changes must restart the pc in order for things to start moving snappy.

Lastly,  if the person has a personal router they bought such as a gaming router which is not owned by their ISP. Sometimes theres
boosts in the app or software. Sometimes it will have Game Performance Boost or QoS.

What happens is this grabs a portion of your bandwidth and pushes it towards the gaming part but it really is useless and does
not enhance anything. Its the most useless garbage made by a company. It throttles the speeds, and affects everything.

If gamers are online and gaming, the gaming being the focus for this boost, its not doing anything to raise up FPS. Its actually like its
putting pressure to the connection.

So disabling all boosts made everything run smooth. I dont know why but it even fixed my Logitech Capture software when it has NOTHING to do with
the internet! I now get 59-120 fps because of these steps.

Please, please, please save this and give it to other members so if they are having  a problem with frame drops, the enabling of the
Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling, and the Variable refresh rate, might help. There could be other reasons for others peoples problems such as
bottlenecking GPU, and CPU, heat in the GPU or a hardware issue with the ONT modem thats connected to the Router. Could be
other issues for people but what i figured out did fix everything. It went from 5 FPS to 120, right now im running 59 fps at max appearance settings.

If you were to uncheck the GPU scheduling, it will chug lag like a keg and a beer bong. It be chokin lag hard.

I couldnt move at all, it was so bad. Now my games work crazy fast, i hope this experience gets passed on to other players who
are experiencing the same problems. Please contact those who you are speaking with who are having fps issues.

The Optimizations for windows games setting turned on might work too since it improves gaming on your PC by using a new presentation model for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 games that appear in a window or in a borderless window (WHICH I DO).

When these optimizations are used, games that originally use the legacy blt-model presentation can use the newer flip-model presentation instead (if the game is compatible). This results in lower frame latency and lets you use other newer gaming features; for example, Auto HDR, and variable refresh rate (for displays that support it).

Have them open the game, game menu, then options and look at the fps to see if it made a change.

They will have to restart the pc to make the changes affective.

Im sure you guys know more than me about stuff, this is just something i did that helped me, and i wanted to share this in case anyone can try it

if anyone has ran out of ideas. Try what i did. Good luck.

Edited by Rubberkitten.3751
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for your post.  Glad you got your problem solved.

Sometimes the Windows gpu hardware acceleration and game stuff can counter-intuitively slow a system down too, cause micro-stuttering.  It depends upon the gpu driver.  I don't always trust Windows to behave nicely.  xD  This is why a system should always be reviewed before narrowing down an issue to the game alone.

Edited by Chaba.5410

I dont know why but it worked though but also the QoS also was the problem. Any boosts to your internet

will throttle. I turned off the acceleration and the FPS was so bad i couldnt move at all on all of my games. I had to enable it, restart and it worked again.

I had a 3060 but bought a 4070 TUF.

Edited by Rubberkitten.3751

2 minutes ago, Rubberkitten.3751 said:

I dont know why but it worked though but also the QoS also was the problem. Any boosts to your internet

will throttle.

That's going to be unique to how your router does QoS.  Like GW2 uses specific ports and the router might not think those ports are used for gaming.  The router might be only doing the gaming QoS on ports of older known games like CSGO, meant for peer-to-peer games, so it's throttling your GW2 connection.

Edited by Chaba.5410