[FIXED] Constant random crashes after Secrets of the Obscure update

Update: Issue appears fixed but doesn't seem like anyone else had the same issue. In case anyone else does I'll leave here the last 3 things I did: 

1. Deleted (renamed) Local.dat file in C>Users>[username]>AppData>Roaming>Guild Wars 2. Running the game generates a fresh file. The new file the game generated was almost 4 times smaller so something was odd there. Make sure to export keybinds before deleting or renaming. 

2. Delete all contents in AppData>Local>Temp (gw2 stores a lot of temp files there)

3. Most likely culprit: Updated BIOS to latest version. I completely forgot to do this before, even knowing DDR5 RAM was supposed to be janky on the new boards till updating the BIOS. Though the odd thing is, any other game I played didn't have any issues. 

///

Constant random crash to desktop every 40 minutes or so after SoTO. Essentially never happened before the update or maybe once every week or 2. Now sitting in Armistice Bastion it happens every 5 minutes sometimes and anywhere else with other players every 30-60 minutes.  Never crashed in solo instance content so far though.

Tried updating GPU driver, then reinstalling the update, then CPU drivers, monitor drivers, reinstalling the game, changing all settings to low, still happens. 

Anyone else getting this or have a solution?

Edited by Zephyrus.9680
Issue seems fixed. Leaving this here for anyone else.
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 9:11 PM, Zephyrus.9680 said:

3. Most likely culprit: Updated BIOS to latest version. I completely forgot to do this before, even knowing DDR5 RAM was supposed to be janky on the new boards till updating the BIOS. Though the odd thing is, any other game I played didn't have any issues.

By "janky", are you referring to XMP/EXPO profiles for DDR5 RAM?  That stuff seems like a real pita between all the different hardware manufacturers.

• Sad 1

On 9/11/2023 at 12:53 PM, Chaba.5410 said:

By "janky", are you referring to XMP/EXPO profiles for DDR5 RAM?  That stuff seems like a real pita between all the different hardware manufacturers.

I think that was it but don't remember anymore. I looked into that stuff last year when I built the PC and set everything up then. After reading there were early issues with the RAM and BIOS, I still  ended up forgetting to update the BIOS. Though maybe there wasn't an update at that point. 

Anyway 2 weeks later I can confirm the issue was completely fixed for me. No crashes since then. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Myniel.3745 said:

I dont think ddr5 is the reason for it, we have 1:1 problem on ddr4 platform 

All I can say is the issue was fixed for me. RAM interaction with the motherboard/BIOS would be my guess though maybe it was the GPU-BIOS interaction. 

I'm not sure if you're getting error messages or error logs. I was getting several different messages and often it would say it was a graphics error, but not always. Sometimes no message, it just crashed. One time I got a BSOD that crashed windows11. That was the hint for me that it was bigger than just the game. Even though other games seemed to run fine.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Zephyrus.9680 changed the title to [FIXED] Constant random crashes after Secrets of the Obscure update
7 hours ago, Zephyrus.9680 said:

All I can say is the issue was fixed for me. RAM interaction with the motherboard/BIOS would be my guess though maybe it was the GPU-BIOS interaction. 

I'm not sure if you're getting error messages or error logs. I was getting several different messages and often it would say it was a graphics error, but not always. Sometimes no message, it just crashed. One time I got a BSOD that crashed windows11. That was the hint for me that it was bigger than just the game. Even though other games seemed to run fine.  

We dont get any error massage at all, we hope we get one but nothing, the log says nothing to locate the problem, and the problem still exist, and its a intel 11th gen with 3070 plattform so still not the newest but not the oldest, we had never problems, but after the SOTO update we have massive crashes where we need to repair it after and this happen in char screen, ingame, in loading screen etc its totaly random, we tried to do a completly fresh install and it didnt help aswell