Which to main? Mesmer, revenant, Engineer, or Necro

Shadrir.4762

Been playing GW2 off an on for a few years but just came back and seriously leveled up my characters these past two months. I have an 80 Mesmer - my first character and one I'm most comfortable with; 80 Engineer- 2nd main but not sure about him now; 80 Necro - used expansion to jump to 80 to get barrier spec; 80 Revenent - wanted it to be my new main

I'm wondering which to focus on. Its really between the Revenant and the Mesmer - I am non-bow, ranged person. I love reactive spells and deception and support. This makes the mesmer the choice right? But I wonder if they are overpowered and flavor of the month! I have done the opening path of fire quest and several of the bosses for points for the new callings and I can hardly get through it on my ventari based Revenent wthout dying and I need help with the challenges for the calling points to beat them. Its also the same on the engineer and necro(though with the necro its cause I have no clue how to play him) On the Mesmer its easy mode. I did the path of fire opening sequence without a death. I just got my first 10 points by beating the guardian no problem. It seems like either the mesmer is op, the other classes are weaker, or the mesmer style fits me better.

Is mesmer played a lot? How can I make a good Revenant tablet build that allows me to do content and also support?

I am non-bow, ranged person. I love reactive spells and deception and support.

GW2 is different then most games as it doesn't approach it with the traditional roles (healer, caster, tank). So all classes can do ranged and melee. They also have decent self support (and often team support). A very good rule is that as long as you can stand the heat, you stay melee, just cause the damage is better.

This also means that in general PvE game play not much support besides self support is needed. If the blob is big enough, the self support will result in more then addequate group support. Only in WvW, high end fractals and raids, you see actual roles being defined. In high end PvP too, but not often support roles

So for open world PvE I would advice against going for support. Nobody is asking or in need of it. Same goes for dungeons and story instances.

So in short: Don't see the world devided in ranged or melee, but do both. Melee when possible cause of dps and ranged when things get too hot. Do not play support unless the content type and the people you play with ask for it.

Archived